Re: lets play!

    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 2, 2008

      > I just never really cared for Hannah Arendt.
      >
      > von Suende

      Can't say I understand this kind of pseudonymous ploy. The fact is,
      Wil, I know that it is really you, as though under a Santa Claus
      beard. A rather unphilosophical turn of phrase, I should have
      thought. After all, do you "care for" Kant, or Hegel, or Nietzsche?
      If one has never met a particular person, now deceased, one cannot
      care for their welfare, only for their honour or reputation. I
      realise that for believing Roman Catholics, for instance, it might be
      a different matter. The doctrine of Purgatory is difficult for me to
      grasp, like much that belongs to the Catholic tradition, as you may
      have noticed. Louise

    • eupraxis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 2, 2008
        Louise,

        Thing one: Mr Knott had used a pseudonym, and I was following suit, for "fun".

        Thing two: Suende is the actual spelling of my (German) last name before being garbled by Ellis Island here in the states. The "von" is a conceit which I sometimes employ among friends.

        Thing three: When someone says that he or she does not care for a deceased writer, most normal, or at least medicated persons understand the sense that is meant by that. And I do not care for Hannah Arendt.

        Thing four: You outbursts alleging "unphilosophical" turns of phrase really make you look out of sorts, dear.

        Yours,
        The Thinger aka von Suende aka Wil

        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 2, 2008
          Wil,

          Thanks for the explanations. I find them helpful. There's not much
          more to say, because the apparent mutual incomprehension is so great.

          Louise

          > Louise,
          >
          > Thing one: Mr Knott had used a pseudonym, and I was following suit,
          for "fun".

          > Thing two: Suende is the actual spelling of my (German) last name
          before being garbled by Ellis Island here in the states. The "von" is
          a conceit which I sometimes employ among friends.

          > Thing three: When someone says that he or she does not care for a
          deceased writer, most normal, or at least medicated persons
          understand the sense that is meant by that. And I do not care for
          Hannah Arendt.

          > Thing four: You outbursts alleging "unphilosophical" turns of
          phrase really make you look out of sorts, dear.

          > Yours,
          > The Thinger aka von Suende aka Wil

        • Knott
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 3, 2008
            > Thing one: Mr Knott had used a pseudonym,
            > and I was following suit, for "fun".

            A fair enough interpretation, and I see how you could arrive there,
            but my name ACTUALLY changes every time I post, like the dude in that
            old epic poem that changed his name every time he fought a battle...As
            far as I am concerned every post IS a battle. Or has potential to be a
            battle, or battles the odds, or is at odds with a battle, or is a
            beetle at the bottom of a bottle, battling.

            Please hit the pause button, but watch out, it may slap you back.

            iCount Onnit
          • eupraxis@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 3, 2008
              iCount Onnit,

              "... every post IS a battle. Or has potential to be a battle, or battles the
              odds, or is at odds with a battle, or is a beetle at the bottom of a bottle,
              battling"

              Yes, that has been my experience, as well. I prefer posts to be al dente, but
              I hope that isn't just because I like to bite.

              Vlad

              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 7, 2008
                Count Knott,

                It is occurring to my overtaxed brain that I have been possibly quite
                misguided in associating your own absurdist skills with the dialectic
                and pseudonymous method of Soren Kierkegaard. Whence many confusions.
                Time for a significant rethink.

                Counted Out

                > > Thing one: Mr Knott had used a pseudonym,
                > > and I was following suit, for "fun".
                >
                > A fair enough interpretation, and I see how you could arrive there,
                > but my name ACTUALLY changes every time I post, like the dude in that
                > old epic poem that changed his name every time he fought a battle...As
                > far as I am concerned every post IS a battle. Or has potential to be a
                > battle, or battles the odds, or is at odds with a battle, or is a
                > beetle at the bottom of a bottle, battling.
                >
                > Please hit the pause button, but watch out, it may slap you back.
                >
                > iCount Onnit

              • Knott
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 8, 2008
                  > Time for a significant rethink.
                  > Counted Out

                  > > Please hit the pause button, but watch out, it may slap you back.

                  Did you hit the button too hard?

                  Knott On
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 9, 2008

                    > > Time for a significant rethink.
                    > > Counted Out
                    >
                    > > > Please hit the pause button, but watch out, it may slap you back.
                    >
                    > Did you hit the button too hard?
                    >
                    > Knott On

                    Now where is the pause button, I'm wondering, and then I see it on the
                    keyboard. The top row of keys tends to escape my notice.

                    Selective Observer