Re: lets play!

  • Knott
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 1, 2008
      > So, what's your point?
      > Wil

      You Nazi...If anyone should appreciate this, you should.

      Or is it that you just don't like fun?

      Gorphel Borphel

      PS -- lets play used to be restaurant jargon for time to do
      coke...isn't life grand?
    • eupraxis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 1, 2008
        I just never really cared for Hannah Arendt.

        von Suende

        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 2, 2008

          > I just never really cared for Hannah Arendt.
          >
          > von Suende

          Can't say I understand this kind of pseudonymous ploy. The fact is,
          Wil, I know that it is really you, as though under a Santa Claus
          beard. A rather unphilosophical turn of phrase, I should have
          thought. After all, do you "care for" Kant, or Hegel, or Nietzsche?
          If one has never met a particular person, now deceased, one cannot
          care for their welfare, only for their honour or reputation. I
          realise that for believing Roman Catholics, for instance, it might be
          a different matter. The doctrine of Purgatory is difficult for me to
          grasp, like much that belongs to the Catholic tradition, as you may
          have noticed. Louise

        • eupraxis@aol.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 2, 2008
            Louise,

            Thing one: Mr Knott had used a pseudonym, and I was following suit, for "fun".

            Thing two: Suende is the actual spelling of my (German) last name before being garbled by Ellis Island here in the states. The "von" is a conceit which I sometimes employ among friends.

            Thing three: When someone says that he or she does not care for a deceased writer, most normal, or at least medicated persons understand the sense that is meant by that. And I do not care for Hannah Arendt.

            Thing four: You outbursts alleging "unphilosophical" turns of phrase really make you look out of sorts, dear.

            Yours,
            The Thinger aka von Suende aka Wil

            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 2, 2008
              Wil,

              Thanks for the explanations. I find them helpful. There's not much
              more to say, because the apparent mutual incomprehension is so great.

              Louise

              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 3, 2008
                > Thing one: Mr Knott had used a pseudonym,
                > and I was following suit, for "fun".

                A fair enough interpretation, and I see how you could arrive there,
                but my name ACTUALLY changes every time I post, like the dude in that
                old epic poem that changed his name every time he fought a battle...As
                far as I am concerned every post IS a battle. Or has potential to be a
                battle, or battles the odds, or is at odds with a battle, or is a
                beetle at the bottom of a bottle, battling.

                Please hit the pause button, but watch out, it may slap you back.

                iCount Onnit
              • eupraxis@aol.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 3, 2008
                  iCount Onnit,

                  "... every post IS a battle. Or has potential to be a battle, or battles the
                  odds, or is at odds with a battle, or is a beetle at the bottom of a bottle,
                  battling"

                  Yes, that has been my experience, as well. I prefer posts to be al dente, but
                  I hope that isn't just because I like to bite.

                  Vlad

                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 7, 2008
                    Count Knott,

                    It is occurring to my overtaxed brain that I have been possibly quite
                    misguided in associating your own absurdist skills with the dialectic
                    and pseudonymous method of Soren Kierkegaard. Whence many confusions.
                    Time for a significant rethink.

                    Counted Out

                    > > Thing one: Mr Knott had used a pseudonym,
                    > > and I was following suit, for "fun".
                    >
                    > A fair enough interpretation, and I see how you could arrive there,
                    > but my name ACTUALLY changes every time I post, like the dude in that
                    > old epic poem that changed his name every time he fought a battle...As
                    > far as I am concerned every post IS a battle. Or has potential to be a
                    > battle, or battles the odds, or is at odds with a battle, or is a
                    > beetle at the bottom of a bottle, battling.
                    >
                    > Please hit the pause button, but watch out, it may slap you back.
                    >
                    > iCount Onnit

                  • Knott
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 8, 2008
                      > Time for a significant rethink.
                      > Counted Out

                      > > Please hit the pause button, but watch out, it may slap you back.

                      Did you hit the button too hard?

                      Knott On
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 9, 2008

                        > > Time for a significant rethink.
                        > > Counted Out
                        >
                        > > > Please hit the pause button, but watch out, it may slap you back.
                        >
                        > Did you hit the button too hard?
                        >
                        > Knott On

                        Now where is the pause button, I'm wondering, and then I see it on the
                        keyboard. The top row of keys tends to escape my notice.

                        Selective Observer