Re: [existlist] lets play guess the source

  • tom
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 30 9:23 PM
      Louise,

      Most of my friends are white like myself, but I have some friends of all races. I'm sure there are millions if not hundreds of millions of people of various races that I would identify much more with than guys like George Bush, Dick Cheney, Rush Limbaugh, Shaun Hannity etc. who are probably from a similar Anglo Saxon stock as myself. As for anti-Semitism, like everything it's partly based on truth, and partly on lies. Since medieval times, Jews were literate when most of our ancestors couldn't read. They tended to be the shopkeepers, and money lenders; and much of anti-Semitism has been based on the resentment of workers against the owning class. In many cases I'm sure their resentment was justified, and in many other cases it wasn't. But anti-Semitism is at least partially based on the resentment of the proletariat for the more prosperous and educated bougeois. It's interesting that Jewish people have been so highly represented as capitalists as well as communists. As for anti-Semitism as it developed in Nazi Germany, the very fact that due to their international sympathies due to family loyalties that crossed borders as well as their high intelligance and literacy, they would not readily blend into a national mass to follow the Fuhrer.

      The West has been crippled by a corrosive and corrupt ideology-
      morality that causes our political-intellectual elites to declare
      themselves in sympathy with, and in support of, the very elements that
      boldly proclaim their goal to be the destruction of the West. ~

      Certainly the politically elites of the last 8 years in the US have not been very sympathetic to the elements that proclaim their goal to destroy us. One of the main reasons they want to destroy us is the intrusion of western powers [mainly the US but also UK and I guess some others] into their territories. As Ron Paul asked in the Republican debate in 07"How would we like it if China was building many huge military bases in Panama like the US is building in the mideast?".

      Tom

      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 1, 2008
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "tom" <tsmith17_midsouth1@...>
        wrote:

        > Louise,
        >
        > Most of my friends are white like myself, but I have some friends
        of all races. I'm sure there are millions if not hundreds of millions
        of people of various races that I would identify much more with than
        guys like George Bush, Dick Cheney, Rush Limbaugh, Shaun Hannity etc.
        who are probably from a similar Anglo Saxon stock as myself. As for
        anti-Semitism, like everything it's partly based on truth, and partly
        on lies. Since medieval times, Jews were literate when most of our
        ancestors couldn't read. They tended to be the shopkeepers, and money
        lenders; and much of anti-Semitism has been based on the resentment
        of workers against the owning class. In many cases I'm sure their
        resentment was justified, and in many other cases it wasn't. But anti-
        Semitism is at least partially based on the resentment of the
        proletariat for the more prosperous and educated bougeois. It's
        interesting that Jewish people have been so highly represented as
        capitalists as well as communists. As for anti-Semitism as it
        developed in Nazi Germany, the very fact that due to their
        international sympathies due to family loyalties that crossed borders
        as well as their high intelligance and literacy, they would not
        readily blend into a national mass to follow the Fuhrer.

        > The West has been crippled by a corrosive and corrupt ideology-
        > morality that causes our political-intellectual elites to declare
        > themselves in sympathy with, and in support of, the very elements
        that
        > boldly proclaim their goal to be the destruction of the West. ~
        >
        > Certainly the politically elites of the last 8 years in the US have
        not been very sympathetic to the elements that proclaim their goal to
        destroy us. One of the main reasons they want to destroy us is the
        intrusion of western powers [mainly the US but also UK and I guess
        some others] into their territories. As Ron Paul asked in the
        Republican debate in 07"How would we like it if China was building
        many huge military bases in Panama like the US is building in the
        mideast?".

        > Tom

        Tom, My feelings of concern or even of desperation, for many years,
        was entirely about the full experience of existing, which includes a
        sense of what I see happening about me, my pride of ancestry, of what
        the greatest men and women of my nation have achieved, and, following
        upon all this, a wish to die with the hope kept alive, that this kind
        of civilisation, which has nourished me, should continue. So it is
        not a matter of identifying with particular individuals who are of
        the same racial stock as myself. That is not what I mean by racial
        awareness. Personally, I sometimes find it unwelcome if the racial
        origin of any person I was interacting with should be the most
        prominent factor in my consciousness, and mostly, I don't really find
        my inward experience is like that, except when I am in poetic mood,
        and the physical beauty of the different racial types is part of
        one's field of vision. It's quite difficult to explain. Actually, I
        am getting a sense of transition at the moment, that the mental
        censorship and ignorance concerning racial factors with which I was
        raised, at home and school and among my peers, is lifting, and a
        simple pleasure and pride at seeing and hearing a particular
        individual (on tv, for instance) does allow for a feeling of kinship
        rather new to me. However, in presenting these quotations, I wanted
        to draw attention to my belief that it is quite legitimate, and,
        indeed, urgent, that nothing should be excluded from the spectrum of
        truths to which our thoughts have access. To neglect or obstruct
        honest statement, to obstruct the dissemination of knowledge, is
        contentious, to say the least, and can be most culpable. The factor
        of race is important in considerations of public policy. Of that I
        have no doubt. The controversy of anti-Semitism is most specific,
        and charged with an intensity of feeling that would require a
        separate e-mail, if I were to begin an attempt to think about it in a
        measured way. Louise

        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 1, 2008

> [...]
          > rather new to me. However, in presenting these quotations, I
          wanted
          > to draw attention to my belief that it is quite legitimate, and,
          > indeed, urgent, that nothing should be excluded from the spectrum
          of
          > truths to which our thoughts have access. To neglect or obstruct
          > honest statement, to obstruct the dissemination of knowledge, is
          > contentious, to say the least, and can be most culpable. The
          factor
          > of race is important in considerations of public policy. Of that I
          > have no doubt. The controversy of anti-Semitism is most specific,
          > and charged with an intensity of feeling that would require a
          > separate e-mail, if I were to begin an attempt to think about it in
          > measured way. Louise
          > > Louise, I think I could distinguish you as a nationalist. It is
          not a term currently politically correct but it sure beats racist.
          Some of my sentiments drift toward nationalism as I desire some
          attachment to powerful order. I feel close to the Army, I mean how
          the hell can you feel close to the Army? It is a strange Teddy Bear
          and I do not pretend it makes any sense.
          Certainly I see you as a straight line thinker, when you seize on a
          topic you rule it to the exclusion of outside interruption. I am
          forced to work a different pattern. I am continually interrupted
          and now the interrupters just holler" Knock, Knock "and barge on
          in. I should appreciate any attention I get because I know it will
          disappear with time. Then I can see the nationalism returning.
          Memories and symbols can fill voids and although such driven
          patriotism may be all self serving I do not think it makes one a
          scoundrel. If no one else cares you look to yourself and use what you
          need. If I were British I would take great inspiration from your
          excellent national symbols. I weep at many of our national monuments
          and I cannot tell you why. So I join you in the sort of a
          nationalism that has grown unnoticed within me.I banished the more
          overt intrusions on normality such as tearing up to taps. The
          national Anthem almost always gets me.
          We are so wildly diverse here that color or race just matter less
          and less. In a pocket of confederate nationalism as I was in this
          weekend I saw many people who would share many of your
          perspectives. I understand them but I feel very little for them. The
          Confederacy lost to my team and so I write their history. They know
          this last election doomed their hopes of return to supremacy. Their
          children will be indoctrinated in other perspectives and that is
          most distressing. I was fourth or fifth generation Irish and still
          carried many ancestral concepts and customs. I knew in junior high
          school that I would not be living my life as an Irishman. It just was
          no longer relevant and so I put away the Shamrocks and Leprechauns
          as I later dumped the catholic junk. I still find a cause with
          existentialism as the post modernism that attempts to replace it is
          very unacceptable to me. I am tempted to run on with our member who
          still wants to drive around with a beer. Like the confederates I know
          that is gone. Bill

        • Knott
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 1, 2008
            > ~ The failure of the powerful and wealthy
            > Jewish American community to
            > launch one objective scholarly study of
            > the causes of anti-Semitism is
            > significant.

            I know this one...Moe from the Three Stooges

            Alf The Fifth
          • Knott
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 1, 2008
              > So, what's your point?
              > Wil

              You Nazi...If anyone should appreciate this, you should.

              Or is it that you just don't like fun?

              Gorphel Borphel

              PS -- lets play used to be restaurant jargon for time to do
              coke...isn't life grand?
            • eupraxis@aol.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 1, 2008
                I just never really cared for Hannah Arendt.

                von Suende

                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 2, 2008

                  > I just never really cared for Hannah Arendt.
                  >
                  > von Suende

                  Can't say I understand this kind of pseudonymous ploy. The fact is,
                  Wil, I know that it is really you, as though under a Santa Claus
                  beard. A rather unphilosophical turn of phrase, I should have
                  thought. After all, do you "care for" Kant, or Hegel, or Nietzsche?
                  If one has never met a particular person, now deceased, one cannot
                  care for their welfare, only for their honour or reputation. I
                  realise that for believing Roman Catholics, for instance, it might be
                  a different matter. The doctrine of Purgatory is difficult for me to
                  grasp, like much that belongs to the Catholic tradition, as you may
                  have noticed. Louise

                • eupraxis@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 2, 2008
                    Louise,

                    Thing one: Mr Knott had used a pseudonym, and I was following suit, for "fun".

                    Thing two: Suende is the actual spelling of my (German) last name before being garbled by Ellis Island here in the states. The "von" is a conceit which I sometimes employ among friends.

                    Thing three: When someone says that he or she does not care for a deceased writer, most normal, or at least medicated persons understand the sense that is meant by that. And I do not care for Hannah Arendt.

                    Thing four: You outbursts alleging "unphilosophical" turns of phrase really make you look out of sorts, dear.

                    Yours,
                    The Thinger aka von Suende aka Wil

                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 2, 2008
                      Wil,

                      Thanks for the explanations. I find them helpful. There's not much
                      more to say, because the apparent mutual incomprehension is so great.

                      Louise

                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 3, 2008
                        > Thing one: Mr Knott had used a pseudonym,
                        > and I was following suit, for "fun".

                        A fair enough interpretation, and I see how you could arrive there,
                        but my name ACTUALLY changes every time I post, like the dude in that
                        old epic poem that changed his name every time he fought a battle...As
                        far as I am concerned every post IS a battle. Or has potential to be a
                        battle, or battles the odds, or is at odds with a battle, or is a
                        beetle at the bottom of a bottle, battling.

                        Please hit the pause button, but watch out, it may slap you back.

                        iCount Onnit
                      • eupraxis@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 3, 2008
                          iCount Onnit,

                          "... every post IS a battle. Or has potential to be a battle, or battles the
                          odds, or is at odds with a battle, or is a beetle at the bottom of a bottle,
                          battling"

                          Yes, that has been my experience, as well. I prefer posts to be al dente, but
                          I hope that isn't just because I like to bite.

                          Vlad

                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 7, 2008
                            Count Knott,

                            It is occurring to my overtaxed brain that I have been possibly quite
                            misguided in associating your own absurdist skills with the dialectic
                            and pseudonymous method of Soren Kierkegaard. Whence many confusions.
                            Time for a significant rethink.

                            Counted Out

                            > > Thing one: Mr Knott had used a pseudonym,
                            > > and I was following suit, for "fun".
                            >
                            > A fair enough interpretation, and I see how you could arrive there,
                            > but my name ACTUALLY changes every time I post, like the dude in that
                            > old epic poem that changed his name every time he fought a battle...As
                            > far as I am concerned every post IS a battle. Or has potential to be a
                            > battle, or battles the odds, or is at odds with a battle, or is a
                            > beetle at the bottom of a bottle, battling.
                            >
                            > Please hit the pause button, but watch out, it may slap you back.
                            >
                            > iCount Onnit

                          • Knott
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 8, 2008
                              > Time for a significant rethink.
                              > Counted Out

                              > > Please hit the pause button, but watch out, it may slap you back.

                              Did you hit the button too hard?

                              Knott On
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 9, 2008

                                > > Time for a significant rethink.
                                > > Counted Out
                                >
                                > > > Please hit the pause button, but watch out, it may slap you back.
                                >
                                > Did you hit the button too hard?
                                >
                                > Knott On

                                Now where is the pause button, I'm wondering, and then I see it on the
                                keyboard. The top row of keys tends to escape my notice.

                                Selective Observer