Re: [existlist] Re: Please, Mr. El Presidente!

  • eupraxis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
      Louise,

      No, there is ample justification, including Herr Knott's own words to that effect. "I don't see how any outcome [of the election] would have been better -- or worse. Not like *I* won anything." Aside from the sheet-wearing South, and the tidy lawns of Long Island, most Americans feel uplifted by Obama's victory, and on a host of levels. But Mr Knott doesn't allow for anything of importance except for himself and his inane word plays. Hence, the attribution.

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008

        > Louise,
        >
        > No, there is ample justification, including Herr Knott's own words
        to that effect. "I don't see how any outcome [of the election] would
        have been better -- or worse. Not like *I* won anything." Aside from
        the sheet-wearing South, and the tidy lawns of Long Island, most
        Americans feel uplifted by Obama's victory, and on a host of levels.
        But Mr Knott doesn't allow for anything of importance except for
        himself and his inane word plays. Hence, the attribution.

        Wil, I must disagree with you here. The assertion of a scepticism
        followed by what I read as a somewhat ironic and laconic statement,
        may be much against your taste, and counter to the popular mood
        (though there are plenty of Americans who do, after all, feel
        differently, and with poignancy), does not of itself constitute an
        egotism. Louise

      • eupraxis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
          Perhaps (although I disagree), but Mr Knott IS an egotist, or at least an egoist, by his own assertions. This has been the crux of our 'conversation' from the beginning. He even denies the influence of the past. It is, literally, 'all about him, isn't that so Mr Knott?

          WS

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
            > And it IS all about you.

            As far as i know, no one else has proved to me that they exist. I
            can't do much more than consider it all part of the dream. In my
            dreams in the dreams I tend to either win or things end up more
            terrible...there is about the only distinction I can make.

            Twixt O. Tweets
          • Knott
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
              > No, there is ample justification, including Herr Knott's own words
              to that effect. "I don't see how any outcome [of the election] would
              have been better -- or worse. Not like *I* won anything."

              Sorry, I didn't mean that to come across like I was looking to there
              "W". It was to set up the joke about the coke bottle tops.

              Haven't you ever written comedy?

              Knott Laughing
            • Knott
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                > Perhaps (although I disagree), but Mr Knott IS an egotist, or at
                least an egoist, by his own assertions. This has been the crux of our
                'conversation' from the beginning. He even denies the influence of the
                past. It is, literally, 'all about him, isn't that so Mr Knott?

                W.,
                While in essence I can almost agree, yet there is a definition:
                "egoist - a conceited and self-centered person" which I think is inexact.

                Specifically the inuendo of the word suggests "Holding or
                characterized by an unduly high opinion of oneself; vain." I think you
                need to re-read SOMETHING, as apparently you are not reading what I
                think I've been writing these 6 or 7 years. Though it could be my lack
                of skill with language (sounds pretty conceited there), or you
                inherent will to misinterpret for your own good.

                That i can't prove you exist does not necessarily make me 'conceited'.
                I'm thinking there must be a more accurate term, and clever as you are
                you might know one. I am hardly better in anything that I can define
                in order to be considerate of self as deserving conceit, as I have a
                hard time defining 'better', 'good', 'bad', or 'worse', but in some
                vague emotion pertaining to my likes/dislikes which is hardly
                accurate. I'd have to think highly of self and likely consistently,
                rather than just one who seems possibly isolated entirely.

                I can't prove you. I can neither prove myself, this message, Obama, or
                the talking cow. That stone over there...is it conceited? It has about
                the same feeling, though it likely can't type it out. And am i typing?
                Last night insane things were going on in a theater where this woman
                was servicing fellows in front of authority without qualm, and then
                the authority itself...and then I woke up from that dream to this one,
                and I become 'conceited'.

                So that is my understanding, and now you can tell me why I am wrong.
                Mostly I always am.

                Ill Conceited
              • eupraxis@aol.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                  Knott,

                  "While in essence I can almost agree, yet there is a definition: "egoist - a
                  conceited and self-centered person" which I think is inexact."

                  Response: The terms are used variously by folks, but my understanding is that
                  "egotism" denotes conceit, while egoism denotes something like a
                  philosophical position. Max Stirner was an egoist, for example.
                  ---
                  "... or you ... misinterpret for your own good."

                  Response: That too.
                  ---
                  "... I'd have to think highly of self and likely consistently, rather than
                  just one who seems possibly isolated entirely."

                  Response: I have always called that egoism.
                  ---
                  "... Last night insane things were going on in a theater where this woman was
                  servicing fellows in front of authority without qualm, and then the authority
                  itself...and then I woke up from that dream to this one, and I become
                  'conceited'.

                  Response: I would have felt gypped.
                  ---
                  "So that is my understanding, and now you can tell me why I am wrong. Mostly
                  I always am."

                  Response: All that I can tell you is that I exist. And if I am mistaken in
                  that, as some have suggested in so-called cognitive science, I still affirm that
                  parallax error as my real life, notwithstanding.

                  Wil