Re: Please, Mr. El Presidente!

  • Knott
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
      > Congrats to you, citizen, for being
      > the first here to spread the slander,
      > and not even a day after the election.
      > No teary eye for you, eh? No swelling
      > of the breast, no acknowledgement of
      > the moment?

      It is incredible that as brilliant as you are, Mr.
      I-can-only-say-what-they-said-before, that you can say so many things
      that i never understand...Or is that just because you are so brilliant
      that i can't fathom? Yes, likely that.

      So whom did I slander? I was taking pleasure at the rather circular
      feel of it where I'd hoped everyone was slandered rather than one in
      favor of others.

      Teary eye? I don't see how any outcome would have been better -- or
      worse. Not like *I* won anything, but I keep playing those games with
      the coke tops, and remain hopeful.

      Gunga Lotsa Din
    • eupraxis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
        "Not like *I* won anything, but I keep playing those games with the coke tops, and remain hopeful."

        And it IS all about you.

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
          Opinions, erudite or folksy, are quite absurd. I follow Camus's
          parameters for the ones that particularly amuse me: lucidity,
          diligence, and strength. Knott's offerings seem a lost art.

          "In that daily effort in which intelligence mingle and delight each
          other, the absurd man discovers a discipline that will make up the
          greatest of his strengths. The required diligence and doggedness and
          lucidity thus resemble the conqueror's attitude. To create is likewise
          to give a shape to one's fate. For all these characters, their work
          defines them at least as much as it is defined by them. The actor
          taught us this: There is no frontier between being and appearing."
          (Myth of Sisyphus-Albert Camus)

          As Bill mentioned, with so many real and imaginary dangers, hope for
          any type of human progress seems absurd. Nevertheless, all actors,
          conquerors, and lovers should sign up for that lottery. What have we
          got to lose?

          Jewel
        • Jewel
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
            I misquoted Camus: should have read "...in which intelligence and
            passion mingle and delight each other..." Although in my case, that
            might have been a Freudian slip. Carry on.

            Jewel

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
              Wil,

              What are you talking about? What is all about Knott?

              Louise

            • eupraxis@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                Its an expression. "Its all about you!" In another words, the person cited is an egotist or self-centered.

                WS

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                  I must admit that when Obama won I was overcome with emotion, that surprised me.? Of course I wanted him to win and yes I did vote for him I didn't think his election would have a such powerful effect on me.? Seeing crowds of supporters both young and old crying at his victory brought tears to my eyes.? Perhaps I am a old softie but having grown up in the 60's in the civil era, remembering the courage of the people working for social justice?and violence directed at them.? And now America elected a black man to be president.? It seems to be there are moments that do transcendent our own existence there are moments that speak to a hope for a world where life is truly honored.? Perhaps it will turn out to be an illusion but for one minute I saw and felt that it is possible.? For me that was a wonderful gift.
                  Michael ??

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                    Hmm, that is rather an attribution, provided without further
                    justification. Many men, many opinions. Egotism, of course, is an
                    ingenious mutable beast. This conversation seems like a little oasis
                    amid the shimmering sands of election euphoria at the list. Politics
                    and society have yet to show essential connection with existential
                    thought. At least, it all seems to be happening a long way from the
                    European continent where the foremost existentialists found their
                    context. It will be fascinating indeed, to see the future develop in
                    the USA.

                    Louise

                  • eupraxis@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                      Louise,

                      No, there is ample justification, including Herr Knott's own words to that effect. "I don't see how any outcome [of the election] would have been better -- or worse. Not like *I* won anything." Aside from the sheet-wearing South, and the tidy lawns of Long Island, most Americans feel uplifted by Obama's victory, and on a host of levels. But Mr Knott doesn't allow for anything of importance except for himself and his inane word plays. Hence, the attribution.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008

                        > Louise,
                        >
                        > No, there is ample justification, including Herr Knott's own words
                        to that effect. "I don't see how any outcome [of the election] would
                        have been better -- or worse. Not like *I* won anything." Aside from
                        the sheet-wearing South, and the tidy lawns of Long Island, most
                        Americans feel uplifted by Obama's victory, and on a host of levels.
                        But Mr Knott doesn't allow for anything of importance except for
                        himself and his inane word plays. Hence, the attribution.

                        Wil, I must disagree with you here. The assertion of a scepticism
                        followed by what I read as a somewhat ironic and laconic statement,
                        may be much against your taste, and counter to the popular mood
                        (though there are plenty of Americans who do, after all, feel
                        differently, and with poignancy), does not of itself constitute an
                        egotism. Louise

                      • eupraxis@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                          Perhaps (although I disagree), but Mr Knott IS an egotist, or at least an egoist, by his own assertions. This has been the crux of our 'conversation' from the beginning. He even denies the influence of the past. It is, literally, 'all about him, isn't that so Mr Knott?

                          WS

                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                            > And it IS all about you.

                            As far as i know, no one else has proved to me that they exist. I
                            can't do much more than consider it all part of the dream. In my
                            dreams in the dreams I tend to either win or things end up more
                            terrible...there is about the only distinction I can make.

                            Twixt O. Tweets
                          • Knott
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                              > No, there is ample justification, including Herr Knott's own words
                              to that effect. "I don't see how any outcome [of the election] would
                              have been better -- or worse. Not like *I* won anything."

                              Sorry, I didn't mean that to come across like I was looking to there
                              "W". It was to set up the joke about the coke bottle tops.

                              Haven't you ever written comedy?

                              Knott Laughing
                            • Knott
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                                > Perhaps (although I disagree), but Mr Knott IS an egotist, or at
                                least an egoist, by his own assertions. This has been the crux of our
                                'conversation' from the beginning. He even denies the influence of the
                                past. It is, literally, 'all about him, isn't that so Mr Knott?

                                W.,
                                While in essence I can almost agree, yet there is a definition:
                                "egoist - a conceited and self-centered person" which I think is inexact.

                                Specifically the inuendo of the word suggests "Holding or
                                characterized by an unduly high opinion of oneself; vain." I think you
                                need to re-read SOMETHING, as apparently you are not reading what I
                                think I've been writing these 6 or 7 years. Though it could be my lack
                                of skill with language (sounds pretty conceited there), or you
                                inherent will to misinterpret for your own good.

                                That i can't prove you exist does not necessarily make me 'conceited'.
                                I'm thinking there must be a more accurate term, and clever as you are
                                you might know one. I am hardly better in anything that I can define
                                in order to be considerate of self as deserving conceit, as I have a
                                hard time defining 'better', 'good', 'bad', or 'worse', but in some
                                vague emotion pertaining to my likes/dislikes which is hardly
                                accurate. I'd have to think highly of self and likely consistently,
                                rather than just one who seems possibly isolated entirely.

                                I can't prove you. I can neither prove myself, this message, Obama, or
                                the talking cow. That stone over there...is it conceited? It has about
                                the same feeling, though it likely can't type it out. And am i typing?
                                Last night insane things were going on in a theater where this woman
                                was servicing fellows in front of authority without qualm, and then
                                the authority itself...and then I woke up from that dream to this one,
                                and I become 'conceited'.

                                So that is my understanding, and now you can tell me why I am wrong.
                                Mostly I always am.

                                Ill Conceited
                              • eupraxis@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                                  Knott,

                                  "While in essence I can almost agree, yet there is a definition: "egoist - a
                                  conceited and self-centered person" which I think is inexact."

                                  Response: The terms are used variously by folks, but my understanding is that
                                  "egotism" denotes conceit, while egoism denotes something like a
                                  philosophical position. Max Stirner was an egoist, for example.
                                  ---
                                  "... or you ... misinterpret for your own good."

                                  Response: That too.
                                  ---
                                  "... I'd have to think highly of self and likely consistently, rather than
                                  just one who seems possibly isolated entirely."

                                  Response: I have always called that egoism.
                                  ---
                                  "... Last night insane things were going on in a theater where this woman was
                                  servicing fellows in front of authority without qualm, and then the authority
                                  itself...and then I woke up from that dream to this one, and I become
                                  'conceited'.

                                  Response: I would have felt gypped.
                                  ---
                                  "So that is my understanding, and now you can tell me why I am wrong. Mostly
                                  I always am."

                                  Response: All that I can tell you is that I exist. And if I am mistaken in
                                  that, as some have suggested in so-called cognitive science, I still affirm that
                                  parallax error as my real life, notwithstanding.

                                  Wil