Please, Mr. Presidente!

  • Knott
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
      Before I say anything, am I allowed to post yet?

      Not one to actually believe in society and politics, I find the recent
      US election something of a small curiosity (if you are playing along:
      interest). I don't vote for several reasons, call it conscientious
      objection (and those of you who have heard and know my limited stances
      can fill in the blanks). I don't know that a president has as much
      affect on anything -- if I even believed in them -- beyond being a
      figurehead. All this "I will" stuff from what I understand is a lie
      from the outset as generally, considering there is a Senate and House,
      it stands for "I can't -- at least not on my own". US royalty, if you
      look at it, becomes a comedy of actors and cowboys on a big screen TV
      occasionally in HD -- some better at playing a part than others, and
      more-or-less appealing to the rest of the world.

      Obama looks set to play the part (debate moments I watched between he
      and McCain were as follows: Obama acted like a dignitary and McCain
      smirked like a schoolyard bully). Fun thing: I wonder if Mr. el P. O.
      appeals to our Muslim extremist 'enemies' in a way that may be
      disappointing for them. He can't nearly be as much to hate considering
      his name, ethnicity and sneaking suspicion of his religion -- though I
      suspect from what I hear (if i believe what I hear) -- that hate is in
      the water in the middle east and you drink it in daily when lucky
      enough to have it not cause cholera. So might it be to the benefit of
      those who believe in the US to have a politic figuratively headed by a
      man, terrorist in name? Can't you just see middle-eastern streets
      awash with people who have no TVs (our errant US impression, yes?)
      circulating the impression that America has finally changed for the
      better as they have accepted the Muslim ways by electing a Muslim
      namesake?

      Now we can be all chummy with the angry states and take advantage of
      all their impassible hills and rocks and burkas. Life is good!

      Akmed Ohno Heryt-Kumsigan
    • eupraxis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
        Dear Knott,

        It is, in some odd way, to your dubious credit that after all of this time
        you still have the ability to surprise me. You have finally decided to venture a
        few political witticisms, no mean feat for the sole entity in the universe
        and for whom the concept of "others" is already scaled down to one.

        Well, it could have been a lot worse. On the other hand, it can become so at
        any moment, given the pleasure you seem to derive at the sound of your own
        voice. Congrats to you, citizen, for being the first here to spread the slander,
        and not even a day after the election. No teary eye for you, eh? No swelling
        of the breast, no acknowledgement of the moment?

        Oh well, what was pne to expect? What egoist has ever recognized the
        poignancy of history?

        Wil

        In a message dated 11/6/08 8:00:52 AM, knott12@... writes:

        > Before I say anything, am I allowed to post yet?
        >
        > Not one to actually believe in society and politics, I find the recent
        > US election something of a small curiosity (if you are playing along:
        > interest). I don't vote for several reasons, call it conscientious
        > objection (and those of you who have heard and know my limited stances
        > can fill in the blanks). I don't know that a president has as much
        > affect on anything -- if I even believed in them -- beyond being a
        > figurehead. All this "I will" stuff from what I understand is a lie
        > from the outset as generally, considering there is a Senate and House,
        > it stands for "I can't -- at least not on my own". US royalty, if you
        > look at it, becomes a comedy of actors and cowboys on a big screen TV
        > occasionally in HD -- some better at playing a part than others, and
        > more-or-less appealing to the rest of the world.
        >
        > Obama looks set to play the part (debate moments I watched between he
        > and McCain were as follows: Obama acted like a dignitary and McCain
        > smirked like a schoolyard bully). Fun thing: I wonder if Mr. el P. O.
        > appeals to our Muslim extremist 'enemies' in a way that may be
        > disappointing for them. He can't nearly be as much to hate considering
        > his name, ethnicity and sneaking suspicion of his religion -- though I
        > suspect from what I hear (if i believe what I hear) -- that hate is in
        > the water in the middle east and you drink it in daily when lucky
        > enough to have it not cause cholera. So might it be to the benefit of
        > those who believe in the US to have a politic figuratively headed by a
        > man, terrorist in name? Can't you just see middle-eastern streets
        > awash with people who have no TVs (our errant US impression, yes?)
        > circulating the impression that America has finally changed for the
        > better as they have accepted the Muslim ways by electing a Muslim
        > namesake?
        >
        > Now we can be all chummy with the angry states and take advantage of
        > all their impassible hills and rocks and burkas. Life is good!
        >
        > Akmed Ohno Heryt-Kumsigan

      • Knott
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
          > Congrats to you, citizen, for being
          > the first here to spread the slander,
          > and not even a day after the election.
          > No teary eye for you, eh? No swelling
          > of the breast, no acknowledgement of
          > the moment?

          It is incredible that as brilliant as you are, Mr.
          I-can-only-say-what-they-said-before, that you can say so many things
          that i never understand...Or is that just because you are so brilliant
          that i can't fathom? Yes, likely that.

          So whom did I slander? I was taking pleasure at the rather circular
          feel of it where I'd hoped everyone was slandered rather than one in
          favor of others.

          Teary eye? I don't see how any outcome would have been better -- or
          worse. Not like *I* won anything, but I keep playing those games with
          the coke tops, and remain hopeful.

          Gunga Lotsa Din
        • eupraxis@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
            "Not like *I* won anything, but I keep playing those games with the coke tops, and remain hopeful."

            And it IS all about you.

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
              Opinions, erudite or folksy, are quite absurd. I follow Camus's
              parameters for the ones that particularly amuse me: lucidity,
              diligence, and strength. Knott's offerings seem a lost art.

              "In that daily effort in which intelligence mingle and delight each
              other, the absurd man discovers a discipline that will make up the
              greatest of his strengths. The required diligence and doggedness and
              lucidity thus resemble the conqueror's attitude. To create is likewise
              to give a shape to one's fate. For all these characters, their work
              defines them at least as much as it is defined by them. The actor
              taught us this: There is no frontier between being and appearing."
              (Myth of Sisyphus-Albert Camus)

              As Bill mentioned, with so many real and imaginary dangers, hope for
              any type of human progress seems absurd. Nevertheless, all actors,
              conquerors, and lovers should sign up for that lottery. What have we
              got to lose?

              Jewel
            • Jewel
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                I misquoted Camus: should have read "...in which intelligence and
                passion mingle and delight each other..." Although in my case, that
                might have been a Freudian slip. Carry on.

                Jewel

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                  Wil,

                  What are you talking about? What is all about Knott?

                  Louise

                • eupraxis@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                    Its an expression. "Its all about you!" In another words, the person cited is an egotist or self-centered.

                    WS

                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                      I must admit that when Obama won I was overcome with emotion, that surprised me.? Of course I wanted him to win and yes I did vote for him I didn't think his election would have a such powerful effect on me.? Seeing crowds of supporters both young and old crying at his victory brought tears to my eyes.? Perhaps I am a old softie but having grown up in the 60's in the civil era, remembering the courage of the people working for social justice?and violence directed at them.? And now America elected a black man to be president.? It seems to be there are moments that do transcendent our own existence there are moments that speak to a hope for a world where life is truly honored.? Perhaps it will turn out to be an illusion but for one minute I saw and felt that it is possible.? For me that was a wonderful gift.
                      Michael ??

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                        Hmm, that is rather an attribution, provided without further
                        justification. Many men, many opinions. Egotism, of course, is an
                        ingenious mutable beast. This conversation seems like a little oasis
                        amid the shimmering sands of election euphoria at the list. Politics
                        and society have yet to show essential connection with existential
                        thought. At least, it all seems to be happening a long way from the
                        European continent where the foremost existentialists found their
                        context. It will be fascinating indeed, to see the future develop in
                        the USA.

                        Louise

                      • eupraxis@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                          Louise,

                          No, there is ample justification, including Herr Knott's own words to that effect. "I don't see how any outcome [of the election] would have been better -- or worse. Not like *I* won anything." Aside from the sheet-wearing South, and the tidy lawns of Long Island, most Americans feel uplifted by Obama's victory, and on a host of levels. But Mr Knott doesn't allow for anything of importance except for himself and his inane word plays. Hence, the attribution.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008

                            > Louise,
                            >
                            > No, there is ample justification, including Herr Knott's own words
                            to that effect. "I don't see how any outcome [of the election] would
                            have been better -- or worse. Not like *I* won anything." Aside from
                            the sheet-wearing South, and the tidy lawns of Long Island, most
                            Americans feel uplifted by Obama's victory, and on a host of levels.
                            But Mr Knott doesn't allow for anything of importance except for
                            himself and his inane word plays. Hence, the attribution.

                            Wil, I must disagree with you here. The assertion of a scepticism
                            followed by what I read as a somewhat ironic and laconic statement,
                            may be much against your taste, and counter to the popular mood
                            (though there are plenty of Americans who do, after all, feel
                            differently, and with poignancy), does not of itself constitute an
                            egotism. Louise

                          • eupraxis@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                              Perhaps (although I disagree), but Mr Knott IS an egotist, or at least an egoist, by his own assertions. This has been the crux of our 'conversation' from the beginning. He even denies the influence of the past. It is, literally, 'all about him, isn't that so Mr Knott?

                              WS

                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                                > And it IS all about you.

                                As far as i know, no one else has proved to me that they exist. I
                                can't do much more than consider it all part of the dream. In my
                                dreams in the dreams I tend to either win or things end up more
                                terrible...there is about the only distinction I can make.

                                Twixt O. Tweets
                              • Knott
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                                  > No, there is ample justification, including Herr Knott's own words
                                  to that effect. "I don't see how any outcome [of the election] would
                                  have been better -- or worse. Not like *I* won anything."

                                  Sorry, I didn't mean that to come across like I was looking to there
                                  "W". It was to set up the joke about the coke bottle tops.

                                  Haven't you ever written comedy?

                                  Knott Laughing
                                • Knott
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                                    > Perhaps (although I disagree), but Mr Knott IS an egotist, or at
                                    least an egoist, by his own assertions. This has been the crux of our
                                    'conversation' from the beginning. He even denies the influence of the
                                    past. It is, literally, 'all about him, isn't that so Mr Knott?

                                    W.,
                                    While in essence I can almost agree, yet there is a definition:
                                    "egoist - a conceited and self-centered person" which I think is inexact.

                                    Specifically the inuendo of the word suggests "Holding or
                                    characterized by an unduly high opinion of oneself; vain." I think you
                                    need to re-read SOMETHING, as apparently you are not reading what I
                                    think I've been writing these 6 or 7 years. Though it could be my lack
                                    of skill with language (sounds pretty conceited there), or you
                                    inherent will to misinterpret for your own good.

                                    That i can't prove you exist does not necessarily make me 'conceited'.
                                    I'm thinking there must be a more accurate term, and clever as you are
                                    you might know one. I am hardly better in anything that I can define
                                    in order to be considerate of self as deserving conceit, as I have a
                                    hard time defining 'better', 'good', 'bad', or 'worse', but in some
                                    vague emotion pertaining to my likes/dislikes which is hardly
                                    accurate. I'd have to think highly of self and likely consistently,
                                    rather than just one who seems possibly isolated entirely.

                                    I can't prove you. I can neither prove myself, this message, Obama, or
                                    the talking cow. That stone over there...is it conceited? It has about
                                    the same feeling, though it likely can't type it out. And am i typing?
                                    Last night insane things were going on in a theater where this woman
                                    was servicing fellows in front of authority without qualm, and then
                                    the authority itself...and then I woke up from that dream to this one,
                                    and I become 'conceited'.

                                    So that is my understanding, and now you can tell me why I am wrong.
                                    Mostly I always am.

                                    Ill Conceited
                                  • eupraxis@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                                      Knott,

                                      "While in essence I can almost agree, yet there is a definition: "egoist - a
                                      conceited and self-centered person" which I think is inexact."

                                      Response: The terms are used variously by folks, but my understanding is that
                                      "egotism" denotes conceit, while egoism denotes something like a
                                      philosophical position. Max Stirner was an egoist, for example.
                                      ---
                                      "... or you ... misinterpret for your own good."

                                      Response: That too.
                                      ---
                                      "... I'd have to think highly of self and likely consistently, rather than
                                      just one who seems possibly isolated entirely."

                                      Response: I have always called that egoism.
                                      ---
                                      "... Last night insane things were going on in a theater where this woman was
                                      servicing fellows in front of authority without qualm, and then the authority
                                      itself...and then I woke up from that dream to this one, and I become
                                      'conceited'.

                                      Response: I would have felt gypped.
                                      ---
                                      "So that is my understanding, and now you can tell me why I am wrong. Mostly
                                      I always am."

                                      Response: All that I can tell you is that I exist. And if I am mistaken in
                                      that, as some have suggested in so-called cognitive science, I still affirm that
                                      parallax error as my real life, notwithstanding.

                                      Wil