freedom to imagine

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2008
      On previous occasions at this list, the moderator has advised me to
      ignore spammers, so I am exerting myself to follow the advice in
      creative manner.

      Coverage of polling at the American elections will be reaching British
      tv viewers late this evening and through the small hours, which
      prompts me only to make a general comment. My own liberalism being a
      rather melancholy concession to the realpolitik of UK social
      structures, it is not relevant to the differently complicated scene
      across the ocean.

      In spite of everything, the unbearableness of how money power foils
      the silent aggregated human will, the relentlessness of warfare, the
      normality of non-comprehension, it is this improbable derivation from
      the Athenian aristocratic democracy which, as a mass system, is still
      a gracious thing to behold, when set beside the romantic and barbarous
      experiments of the twentieth century, with their planned and chaotic
      revolutions of the old order. Murder will out. My faith has a kind
      of Russian dimension. It is not a faith in politics.

      Louise