Attributions ,commitments

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2008
      True origins ,in existentialism, are at the fore. The concepts that
      are integral and core should be the things that change most
      slowly. I remember the days when I was considering existentialism
      as a life philosophy it necessitated a major change in the way I
      thought, the way I lived. It was not a 90 degree turn it was a great
      acceleration forward. Baggage had to be dropped and rules discarded.
      Much of religion was out of the question.
      I became responsible for my ideas and actions and the mighty
      hierarchy of rules with which I had lived were simply gone. I
      became interested in logical thinking because now I was
      responsible for my decisions. The knock on existentialism was moral
      looseness but I found personal responsibility more restrictive than
      the old rules in that everything needed personal certification. It
      was a walk in the wilderness, all alone. Sartre, Camus and FN were
      all in print but they were Europeans far removed from an American
      boomer kid. I had to build it from the ground up and science seemed
      the most reliable base. I studied physics to help me think more
      precisely. I spent my days with a slide rule and I became a better
      thinker. I dumped garbage, by the ton, went to public university and
      quit going to church.
      So to what do I attribute this sea change. It was the corruption of
      the previous system. The world I lived in was 70% non functional.
      With my new found pragmatism I was out to change things and it
      started with me. Try taking on professionalism as a new foundation
      existentialist. Professionalism has its roots in moral theology. It
      is if the old rugged cross mixed with Aquinas. Luckily treatment
      science is a most logical matter and professionalism relied on that
      base of logic. I still do not have the words matched up but that is
      where commitment comes in. After forty years professional
      responsibility has pickled me more than any existential angst or even
      catholic guilt. So existentialism has not lead me to some moral
      relativist play ground. Au contraire!Commitment necessitates
      repetition and the more you repeat something the better you get at
      it. You know what works so you try to do it efficiently , with
      precision. I understand the Eagles "Building the perfect beast" . I
      try to be that Rand like figure but I attribute my thinking to
      myself with little change in my commitments. "Time hurries on, and
      the leaves that were green turn to brown"Simon and Garfunkel. Bill
    • rtherriault@live.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2008
        I have a difficult time seeing where existentialism and professionalism overlap, especially with the glorification of logic. I think the freedom and responsibility of a Sartre is different than the freedom and responsibility of a Rand.

        Your Friendly Philosopher,

        Bob T

        http://www.anecdotalstories.blogspot.com
        http://www.stairwaytoparadise.blogspot.com