authenticity

  • rtherriault@live.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
      I think there were basically two general themes which I remember from studying Existentialism: Death and Authenticity.

      There seems to be some kind of basic contradiction in the lives of a great number of people. We go through great lengths examining such things as gold and diamonds and works of Art and facts of Science and paper money, in an effort to determine their authenticity (realness) and to prevent any counterfeiting, Yet we take great pride in our own lives that we are able to put on masks and appear as something we are not. We take great pride in being fakes and counterfeits. Why is this?

      Is it simply a case of the Real vs Phony, the Philosopher vs Sophist? Are Real people just hopeless Romantics, Romeos and Juliets, heading for a sad ending? Is Reality just an illusion? Are Realists headed for a great disillusionment? Is Life just "The Greatest Show on Earth?" Is this "The Reality?"

      Your Friendly Philosopher,

      Bob T

      http://www.anecdotalstories.blogspot.com
      http://www.stairwaytoparadise.blogspot.com
      http://www.jazzmoods.blogspot.com
      http://www.holism4us.blogspot.com
      http://www.jennyandi.blogspot.com
      http://www.ethicswithoutwalls.blogspot.com

    • tom
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
        I guess there has more often than not been a big gap between the reality of people's feelings, actions, and values and what is most sellable. Obviously, politicians try to be as many things to many people as possible. Authenticity is only feasible when acceptance is not a high priority or under unusual circumstances when a person's feelings, thoughts, actions and values do happen to coincide with those of the people to be sold or persuaded.Machiavelli said something to the affect that in order to obtain, maintain, and expand power, power had to be number one priority. He said it was fine for a prince to be compassionate, generous, truthful etc as long as so doing didnt undermine the primary value of power acquisition and maintenance. If it did, then by what we'd now call the law of natural selection other politicians who put power number one will take over.

        Tom

        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
          I heard somewhere the saying that "a person can be either honest or sociable."

          Do you find this true?

          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
            Not necesarily in all cases. A person might enjoy a person's cooking, and compliment the cook on their fine meal, or in other areas also, there are many times when a person can honestly say true things that are sociable. However, when we talk about large scale political agendas in which it is necesary to get majority support for success, candor accompanied by large scale acceptance becomes more unlikely.

            Tom

            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 2, 2008
              a good film to watch on this theme is 'persona' by ingmar bergman. the
              characters take the concept to an extreme but it outlines the idea
              perfectly

              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 2, 2008
                Could you explain the movie a little? I doubt if I will have the chance to see it.

              • N0189933
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                  its about an actress who suddenly stops speaking one day. various doctors are brought in to explain the condition but none can. the actress goes to the countryside to relax and possibly recover with a nurse. we eventually discover that the actress has decided to stop speaking because she believes that every utterence is a lie, she does not want to lie anymore, life and language is inauthentic. thats basically the rub but i really do recomend that you watch it, along with any other bergman film, all of which have existentialism at their core, especially 'the seventh seal'

                  http://www.anecdotalstories.blogspot.com <http://www.anecdotalstories.blogspot.com/>
                  http://www.stairwaytoparadise.blogspot.com <http://www.stairwaytoparadise.blogspot.com/>
                  http://www.jazzmoods.blogspot.com <http://www.jazzmoods.blogspot.com/>
                  http://www.holism4us.blogspot.com <http://www.holism4us.blogspot.com/>