Not premature

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2008
      The Laborers are advewrtising on the tube.There are few jobs at
      present so why would Local 177 spend scant dollars on TV spots. They
      are putting their money on a massive public works initiative. Few
      people appreciate the skilled trade unions. Most think the hard core
      guys that build sewers, highways, bridges and major structures just
      walk onto the job site and start work. I can assure you that is not
      the case.
      I would refer you to a TV show entitled Americas Toughest Jobs.
      They put rookies on the job and watch them fuck up. Construction is
      very dangerous and attempting it from scratch, without training is
      all but suicidal.
      This time a change in ruling party will mean a sea change in
      Americas working habits. At present we do not have the personnel or
      the will to field a productive work force. The soft jobs in business
      are being slashed and the government is beginning to search about
      for young healthy journeymen. It takes at least three years to
      field a useful laborer, five years a competent brick layer and even
      longer for heavy equipment operators. Modern construction is not
      done by dumb guys with shovels. Basic language and math skills
      are necessary before training. You must be in good health and you
      must be willing to work hard for long hours , for years.
      These jobs are going to pay big wages, have good benefits and
      protected retirement programs. Thirty years in construction is a
      long,long haul. Many of our returning troops have the discipline and
      toughness to do the jobs but many are hurt and may not be able to
      hack it. I see carpenters, laborers and brick layers every day at my
      office. I consider them heroes all covered in mud and often blood.
      The guys in 2000 dollar suits are going to be fewer as car harts
      and flannel will be on the backs of the real Americans. We need to
      welcome this societal change and support our new work force.
      Without them we will all perish. The age of the MBA is turning to the
      age of work union, buy union. We will all be better for this. I know
      those guys and they are great. Bill