Re: Philosophical scepticism, or the "triumphs" of science

  • devogney
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 20, 2008

> [...]
      > its
      > > abuses, was treasured up, as the years passed, in the
      institutions,
      > > customs and arts of the countries under its sway. As someone who
      > > believes that the abuses of power within this civilisation were
      > such as
      > > to justify the upheavals of the Reformation, which unleashed in
      its
      > > turn a new sequence of social and spiritual evils, I find myself
      > > looking backward from a world of poisoned fish, bovine holocausts
      > and
      > > laboratories of death, to a more primitive world, of greater
      > coherence
      > > for the entire natural order. Speaking simply from where I am,
      at
      > an
      > > interface of intuition, knowledge and experience, it is clear
      that
      > > science has shot ahead of human self-awareness by about six
      hundred
      > > years. The most basic elements of moral sensibility are fading:
      > the
      > > capacity for anger, for a sense of outrage, are diminishing in
      our
      > > civilisations at present, or at least the discharge of these
      > feelings
      > > is spectacularly ineffective. The scientists are in some cases
      > seeking
      > > to blur the distinction between human and animal species, for
      > God's
      > > sake! The blending of irrationalism with insincerity is more or
      > less
      > > promoted by an economic system with a vested interest in
      > stimulating
      > > new desires and in generalising deisres into requirements.
      > > People often do not have the time to know themselves. Possibly
      > this
      > > might improve, with the increase in unemployment? Well, you
      never
      > > know. In nineteen-thirties Britain, a proliferation of little
      > clubs
      > > for those with more time on their hands came into being. Most of
      > us
      > > (in the 'West) could manage with a good deal less material wealth
      > if
      > > there were more trust within our communities, if social life were
      > more
      > > pleasant and less demanding, if tolerance for difference were the
      > basic
      > > starting-point.
      > > I am not advocating atavism - science and technology are
      intrinsic
      > and
      > > indispensable to civilisation as we know it; what drives me is a
      > sense
      > > that strong and unequivocal refusals to scientific development
      are
      > just
      > > as important as bold and sensitive innovation. Here's a more

      Certainly, the advances in science and technology over the last 600
      years has put a huge amount of power in the hands of man. One of the
      big problems is that once the huge brained scientific elite have made
      their discoveries and inventions,in a short period of time these
      powers are in the hands of the more reptilian brained power brokers.
      Leo Szilard,the man who invented the chain reactor, and who is
      believed to have wrote most of the letter to FDR that Einstein
      signed, which originally proposed the possibility of an A bomb being
      made, and suggested it was quite likely that the Nazis were already
      working on it, and later played a very big part in the Manhattan
      Project was already trying to stop it from being deployed before it
      was used. His original motivation in writing the letter to FDR was
      his fear that Hitler would get an A bomb, and all hell would break
      loose.But Germany was already defeated by the time the US had
      developed the A bomb, and there had never been any suspicion that the
      Japanese were developing an A bomb;and so Szilard and many other
      prominent scientists who had developed the A bomb immediately became
      the first to push for the immediate ending of all atomic weaponry.As
      you said As someone who
      > > believes that the abuses of power within this civilisation were
      > such as
      > > to justify the upheavals of the Reformation, which unleashed in
      its
      > > turn a new sequence of social and spiritual evils,

      This seems to be typical, new systems take over ostensibly dedicated
      to liberty, fraternity, and equality, and soon the reality is a Reign
      of Terror.I certainly agree with you totally that rapid scientific
      and technological advances without psychological and spiritual
      evolution can very well be suicidal for the human species. For
      thousands of years, as men fought with clubs, swords, spears, and
      arrows, wars were effective at keeping populations at sustainable
      levels, and weeding out the less fit combatants,but with nuclear
      weapons; its a new ball game. Similarly, in regard to the
      environment,prior to the industrial revolution, humans probably didnt
      do much more damage to the environment than the same number of
      comparatively sized animals would.

      Tossing and Turning

      Tossing and turning, waking up from a long slumber.

      Getting hip to being more than just a number.

      Getting hip to trees being more than just lumber.

      Rising and falling, starting and stalling.

      Is it the New Age or Armageddon, that we hear calling?

      Groovy man

      by the Cool Cat www.thecoolcat.net

      Tom