Covered bridge festival

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2008
      It is the bridges of Madison county and the birthplace of John Wayne.
      It is rural ,neighbor, as rural as it gets. We go there even when
      there is no festival. We drive down in winter to see the covered
      bridges and eat at the north side cafe. It was in the movie and
      serves superior farmer food.Beef,chicken,pork and taters, mashed
      taters with dark brown gravy and some homemade egg noodles.
      The courthouse says 1870`s but there were still horses grazing on
      the lawn. Everybody comes to eat, very few skinnies in Winterset.
      They ring the square with food stands and ring the blocks beyond with
      classic cars. Most of those cars will go home to their sheds not to
      be driven until spring.
      We sat on the courthouse grounds eating Greek food, it is all the
      rage this year. The locals love it when Priscilla spits out the
      things she can`t identify. City girl with good sense.
      They bring on a gospel quartet. Lutherans are considered liberals in
      Madison county.A big ol raw boned farm wife hears the barbershop
      sound and begins what is her dance. Rhiannon.
      This is the harvest festival and the goblins are peeking through
      the shocks. The harvest is good,not great but there is enough there
      to feed us . The whole thing is most inspiring,traditional and
      full of pioneer legends. An ancient woman reads, old stories from
      the courthouse steps, She wears a bonnet and matching dress. There is
      a smooth bore rifle display. Take their guns, first you gotta stack
      the bodies cause they will fight to the death with them.They were
      raised that way.
      A great deal of this place is in tact, knows what it is doing and
      ready to work. So we will. Bill