Re: Existentialism and war

  • devogney
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2008

      > In the pre modern world war was a working option of statecraft.
      During
      > the evolution of existentialism there was a concomitant advancement
      of
      > weapons and tactics. The carnage of the civil war forced battle
      into
      > the trenches and people of philosophy saw the terrible carnage of
      > artillery and infantry war increase with the use of tank and
      aircraft.
      > War became too big ,bloody and costly to be a tool of statecraft.
      > Philosophy moved to the individual and those individuals demanded
      peace
      > as a necessity of survival.
      > As we have come back through a collectivist degradation war was in
      > vogue. The present senseless confrontations forget the ultimate
      lessons
      > of the assemblage of arms. Total nuclear war is not winnable.
      Limited
      > nuclear war is a precarious situation that should not be risked. It
      was
      > the existential individual who had the freedom to force such
      necessary
      > conclusions on the collective backwardness. We must reassert
      ourselves
      > in those missions it is our legacy to protect. Bill

      I agree very much; and have often reflected to what an extent the
      20th century fell so far from the hopes of visionaries in the 1890s
      and the early part of the century. Advances in science and technology
      give humanity more and more the choice whither to create a heaven or
      a hell with their new found powers. Its very much like the
      archtypical fairy story where the character obtains powers, but often
      uses them unwisely. Will science and technology be increasingly used
      to end disease, hunger, and allow humanity to enhance their mental
      and physical potential, or to create more deadly weapons and
      Orwellian survalece? The answer my friend is blowing in the wind.