Re: [existlist] Fiction

  • Exist List Moderator
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2008
      On Oct 03, 2008, at 16:50, Rose Lieberman wrote:

      > I'm interested in the literary end of existentialism and nihilism.

      I happen to think Atonement is an interesting read, asking "what if"
      and "how" questions. Stories of personal choice and personal
      definition struggle against two threads in English "literary" fiction:
      narcissism and dark nihilism. We have the "all about me" (I'm the
      author/main character) of Amis and the "all things are lousy" threads.

      I think the 1950s and 60s offered a much richer "existential" and
      phenomenological period, when questions of who we were mattered to
      various "movements" -- gender, ethnic, and even religious. When you
      have to "choose" actively to be something, that's a good story.

      For a number of reasons, we have "evolved" into a cynical dark corner
      at the moment. The arts are cyclical, though, so who knows what might
      appear.

      Curiously enough, "vampire" fiction is often about free-will,
      overcoming primal natures, and rising above the self. I'm not much for
      fantasy, but the genre is filled with characters making choices to
      affirm the human spirit even in the face of damnation. Comic books
      like Spawn, Ghost Rider, and Hellboy thrive on these choices.

      I love romantic comedies, which simply don't have a lot of depth...
      and I admit it.

      - C. S. Wyatt
      that I shall be.