Fiction

  • Rose Lieberman
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2008
      I'm interested in the literary end of existentialism and nihilism.

      Other than the defining works by those who have either defined or expanded these literary genres, what titles might I consider that are much more recent, perhaps more popular, that might not be obvious, but still have entertainment value for those who appreciate these philosophies.

      Thanks,

      Rose

    • Exist List Moderator
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2008
        On Oct 03, 2008, at 16:50, Rose Lieberman wrote:

        > I'm interested in the literary end of existentialism and nihilism.

        I happen to think Atonement is an interesting read, asking "what if"
        and "how" questions. Stories of personal choice and personal
        definition struggle against two threads in English "literary" fiction:
        narcissism and dark nihilism. We have the "all about me" (I'm the
        author/main character) of Amis and the "all things are lousy" threads.

        I think the 1950s and 60s offered a much richer "existential" and
        phenomenological period, when questions of who we were mattered to
        various "movements" -- gender, ethnic, and even religious. When you
        have to "choose" actively to be something, that's a good story.

        For a number of reasons, we have "evolved" into a cynical dark corner
        at the moment. The arts are cyclical, though, so who knows what might
        appear.

        Curiously enough, "vampire" fiction is often about free-will,
        overcoming primal natures, and rising above the self. I'm not much for
        fantasy, but the genre is filled with characters making choices to
        affirm the human spirit even in the face of damnation. Comic books
        like Spawn, Ghost Rider, and Hellboy thrive on these choices.

        I love romantic comedies, which simply don't have a lot of depth...
        and I admit it.

        - C. S. Wyatt
        that I shall be.