Re: Getting Down to Basics vs Getting With the Program

  • Herman B. Triplegood
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
      Wil: I am pursuing another reading of things that has another goal
      and another urgency in mind.

      Let me just rattle the cage a bit...

      Hb3g: This is what is urgent to me Wil. Philosophy. I mean
      metaphysics. I mean what philosophy must be: going for the root of it
      all. Those other goals and urgencies you are pursuing are just fine
      with me Wil. They are important. They are obvious. But they are NOT
      philosophy. Not by a long shot.

      We have forgotten philosophy itself.

      So, I ask this question again.

      Which question is it?

      Really?

      1. What is philosophy?

      Or...

      2. Why philosophy?

      I go for number 2, not number 1.

      The why question is far more important to me than the what question.

      Philosophy. Why philosophy? What good is it?

      Take it back to the things that Socrates said. Why do you suppose
      that Socrates said we must pursue the possibility of the good of
      philosophy "at all costs"? Even though we don't really know it? Even
      though we can't ever ultimately know it? Why did philosophy matter so
      much to Socrates that he put up his life for the sake of the pursuit
      of it? For the sake of what remains, in the final analysis, unknown?
      Unknowable? The unknown?

      What was really at stake there? What is still at stake right here and
      right now? I'll tell you what Socrates said in the Phaedo. You can
      take it or leave it. But you might try asking yourself what it really
      means for somebody like Socrates to even say a thing like this. What
      it really means isn't as obvious as you might think it is. Socrates
      said, that the reason why we MUST pursue philosophy, is because it is
      our immortality that is at stake.

      Now, what in the hell is that supposed to REALLY mean? You have to
      think like a Greeek, like a Socrates or a Plato, not like a
      Christian, or, like an anti-Christian atheist, to really GET what
      this REALLY means. Start by asking this question about the opposite
      kind of thing. Which part of us really is the mortal part? The soul?
      Or the body?

      The Phaedo isn't really about the immortality of the soul at all. It
      is about how Socrates, himself, became immortal. Even while he was
      still breathing!

      Hb3g
    • eupraxis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
        Hb3g

        "Which part of us really is the mortal part? The soul? Or the body?"

        Response: What in the world are you getting yourself into now?.
        ---
        "The Phaedo isn't really about the immortality of the soul at all. It is
        about how Socrates, himself, became immortal."

        Response: Really? Is that so? What edition do you have? Mine is about the
        immortality of the soul.

        Wil