Re: [existlist] Re: Getting Down to Basics vs Getting With the Program

  • eupraxis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
      No, I meant the Jonestown punch. Our friend was getting too wide eyed for his own good.

      Wil

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008

        > > Don't drink the punch.
        > >
        > > Wil
        > > Wil, is that the bail out punch? Reed just "leaked" that a major
        US
        > insurance company is nearing bankrupcy. The FDIC upping insured
        > amounts is the real cool aid for the insurance boys. If we put in
        > 700 hundred billion what are the chances of a bank going down. I
        see
        > this as a rare opportunity, to rid ourselves of part of the
        insurance
        > monster. But no, they will be bailed out and we will be protected.
        > That is the double talk we must spew.
        > Being a simplistic sort, I connect post modernism to
        deconstruction
        > and correctness to the right wing moralists. They are a
        > political,theological movement and have had their way in this
        country
        > for years. What they do is directed by god and therefore will be
        for
        > the best in the end. Deconstruction was the philosophical smoke
        > screen that covered their irrational ,metaphysical mischef. They
        > deserve everything, all power all wealth. The rest of us are here
        > serve. Them. Bill
        > > So just for yucks lets say the pyramid is falling, how far should
        we let it tumble? Can we stop it at all? So that is the rough process
        that is taking place now. The financial sector is being trimmed but
        how deep should those cuts be? I think it should be deep enough to
        stop it from regrowing. Those people are not stupid and should not
        turn their aquiline noses up at job change. I of course opt for
        hard labor but know they will weasel out of that. The patriots can go
        to the army and burrow into the bureaucracy to avoid combat. Good
        retirement benefits and you still wear a suit. Of course once you
        have signed the paper all kinds of unexpected options appear , fix
        bayonetts!Both sides are fighting for survival and the public genie
        is far out of the bottle. It comes back to a trial of modernism and
        few have any idea where the stakes will be wagered. I will pretend
        it is on the senate floor and watch c-span for a good nap. It is
        really good not to talk to you but again you may have a day job. Bill

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
          Wil,

          I entirely disagree. Herman's post offers a great new direction for
          our musings and discussions at the list. When the primordial, when
          feeling finds its chance to be, the first sign may be silence. Then
          whatever comes, is new. At least, I remember when life used to be
          that way.

          Louise

        • eupraxis@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
            Perhaps, but the discussion between Herman and myself has already passed onto
            the domain of hyperbole and lampoon just a little. And I mean just a little.
            I already said that I basically agree with him on much of this, but that I am
            pursuing another reading of things that has another goal and another urgency
            in mind.

            Wil

            In a message dated 10/1/08 7:53:49 PM, hecubatoher@... writes:

            > Wil,
            >
            > I entirely disagree. Herman's post offers a great new direction for
            > our musings and discussions at the list. When the primordial, when
            > feeling finds its chance to be, the first sign may be silence. Then
            > whatever comes, is new. At least, I remember when life used to be
            > that way.
            >
            > Louise

          • Herman B. Triplegood
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
              Wil: I am pursuing another reading of things that has another goal
              and another urgency in mind.

              Let me just rattle the cage a bit...

              Hb3g: This is what is urgent to me Wil. Philosophy. I mean
              metaphysics. I mean what philosophy must be: going for the root of it
              all. Those other goals and urgencies you are pursuing are just fine
              with me Wil. They are important. They are obvious. But they are NOT
              philosophy. Not by a long shot.

              We have forgotten philosophy itself.

              So, I ask this question again.

              Which question is it?

              Really?

              1. What is philosophy?

              Or...

              2. Why philosophy?

              I go for number 2, not number 1.

              The why question is far more important to me than the what question.

              Philosophy. Why philosophy? What good is it?

              Take it back to the things that Socrates said. Why do you suppose
              that Socrates said we must pursue the possibility of the good of
              philosophy "at all costs"? Even though we don't really know it? Even
              though we can't ever ultimately know it? Why did philosophy matter so
              much to Socrates that he put up his life for the sake of the pursuit
              of it? For the sake of what remains, in the final analysis, unknown?
              Unknowable? The unknown?

              What was really at stake there? What is still at stake right here and
              right now? I'll tell you what Socrates said in the Phaedo. You can
              take it or leave it. But you might try asking yourself what it really
              means for somebody like Socrates to even say a thing like this. What
              it really means isn't as obvious as you might think it is. Socrates
              said, that the reason why we MUST pursue philosophy, is because it is
              our immortality that is at stake.

              Now, what in the hell is that supposed to REALLY mean? You have to
              think like a Greeek, like a Socrates or a Plato, not like a
              Christian, or, like an anti-Christian atheist, to really GET what
              this REALLY means. Start by asking this question about the opposite
              kind of thing. Which part of us really is the mortal part? The soul?
              Or the body?

              The Phaedo isn't really about the immortality of the soul at all. It
              is about how Socrates, himself, became immortal. Even while he was
              still breathing!

              Hb3g
            • eupraxis@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
                Hb3g

                "Which part of us really is the mortal part? The soul? Or the body?"

                Response: What in the world are you getting yourself into now?.
                ---
                "The Phaedo isn't really about the immortality of the soul at all. It is
                about how Socrates, himself, became immortal."

                Response: Really? Is that so? What edition do you have? Mine is about the
                immortality of the soul.

                Wil