Re: Getting Down to Basics vs Getting With the Program

    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008

      > Don't drink the punch.
      >
      > Wil
      > Wil, is that the bail out punch? Reed just "leaked" that a major US
      insurance company is nearing bankrupcy. The FDIC upping insured
      amounts is the real cool aid for the insurance boys. If we put in
      700 hundred billion what are the chances of a bank going down. I see
      this as a rare opportunity, to rid ourselves of part of the insurance
      monster. But no, they will be bailed out and we will be protected.
      That is the double talk we must spew.
      Being a simplistic sort, I connect post modernism to deconstruction
      and correctness to the right wing moralists. They are a
      political,theological movement and have had their way in this country
      for years. What they do is directed by god and therefore will be for
      the best in the end. Deconstruction was the philosophical smoke
      screen that covered their irrational ,metaphysical mischef. They
      deserve everything, all power all wealth. The rest of us are here to
      serve. Them. Bill

      Program

      > Wil: But a feeling is just ... a feeling.
      >

      > Hb3g: But a concept is just ... a concept.
      >

      > Consider lyric poetry for a moment.
      >

      > How is it that we "get" what the poem is saying?
      >

      > Is that just ... a feeling?
      >

      > Is it not also ... an understanding?
      >

      > Okay...
      >

      > What about philosophy?
      >

      > You say: Solve problems. Do critique. Be revolutionary. Will to
      power.

      > Well...
      >

      > I say: What about insight?
      >

      > What are we really "going after" here?
      >

      > Here you are, and this is your world before you. That relation,
      right

      > there, is indeed an awesome fact, an irreducible fact of your
      Being,

      > and of mine as well.
      >

      > You are not just a thing Wil. Nor are you just a thinking being.
      No.

    • eupraxis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
        No, I meant the Jonestown punch. Our friend was getting too wide eyed for his own good.

        Wil

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008

          > > Don't drink the punch.
          > >
          > > Wil
          > > Wil, is that the bail out punch? Reed just "leaked" that a major
          US
          > insurance company is nearing bankrupcy. The FDIC upping insured
          > amounts is the real cool aid for the insurance boys. If we put in
          > 700 hundred billion what are the chances of a bank going down. I
          see
          > this as a rare opportunity, to rid ourselves of part of the
          insurance
          > monster. But no, they will be bailed out and we will be protected.
          > That is the double talk we must spew.
          > Being a simplistic sort, I connect post modernism to
          deconstruction
          > and correctness to the right wing moralists. They are a
          > political,theological movement and have had their way in this
          country
          > for years. What they do is directed by god and therefore will be
          for
          > the best in the end. Deconstruction was the philosophical smoke
          > screen that covered their irrational ,metaphysical mischef. They
          > deserve everything, all power all wealth. The rest of us are here
          > serve. Them. Bill
          > > So just for yucks lets say the pyramid is falling, how far should
          we let it tumble? Can we stop it at all? So that is the rough process
          that is taking place now. The financial sector is being trimmed but
          how deep should those cuts be? I think it should be deep enough to
          stop it from regrowing. Those people are not stupid and should not
          turn their aquiline noses up at job change. I of course opt for
          hard labor but know they will weasel out of that. The patriots can go
          to the army and burrow into the bureaucracy to avoid combat. Good
          retirement benefits and you still wear a suit. Of course once you
          have signed the paper all kinds of unexpected options appear , fix
          bayonetts!Both sides are fighting for survival and the public genie
          is far out of the bottle. It comes back to a trial of modernism and
          few have any idea where the stakes will be wagered. I will pretend
          it is on the senate floor and watch c-span for a good nap. It is
          really good not to talk to you but again you may have a day job. Bill

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
            Wil,

            I entirely disagree. Herman's post offers a great new direction for
            our musings and discussions at the list. When the primordial, when
            feeling finds its chance to be, the first sign may be silence. Then
            whatever comes, is new. At least, I remember when life used to be
            that way.

            Louise

          • eupraxis@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 1, 2008
              Perhaps, but the discussion between Herman and myself has already passed onto
              the domain of hyperbole and lampoon just a little. And I mean just a little.
              I already said that I basically agree with him on much of this, but that I am
              pursuing another reading of things that has another goal and another urgency
              in mind.

              Wil

              In a message dated 10/1/08 7:53:49 PM, hecubatoher@... writes:

              > Wil,
              >
              > I entirely disagree. Herman's post offers a great new direction for
              > our musings and discussions at the list. When the primordial, when
              > feeling finds its chance to be, the first sign may be silence. Then
              > whatever comes, is new. At least, I remember when life used to be
              > that way.
              >
              > Louise

            • Herman B. Triplegood
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 2, 2008
                Wil: I am pursuing another reading of things that has another goal
                and another urgency in mind.

                Let me just rattle the cage a bit...

                Hb3g: This is what is urgent to me Wil. Philosophy. I mean
                metaphysics. I mean what philosophy must be: going for the root of it
                all. Those other goals and urgencies you are pursuing are just fine
                with me Wil. They are important. They are obvious. But they are NOT
                philosophy. Not by a long shot.

                We have forgotten philosophy itself.

                So, I ask this question again.

                Which question is it?

                Really?

                1. What is philosophy?

                Or...

                2. Why philosophy?

                I go for number 2, not number 1.

                The why question is far more important to me than the what question.

                Philosophy. Why philosophy? What good is it?

                Take it back to the things that Socrates said. Why do you suppose
                that Socrates said we must pursue the possibility of the good of
                philosophy "at all costs"? Even though we don't really know it? Even
                though we can't ever ultimately know it? Why did philosophy matter so
                much to Socrates that he put up his life for the sake of the pursuit
                of it? For the sake of what remains, in the final analysis, unknown?
                Unknowable? The unknown?

                What was really at stake there? What is still at stake right here and
                right now? I'll tell you what Socrates said in the Phaedo. You can
                take it or leave it. But you might try asking yourself what it really
                means for somebody like Socrates to even say a thing like this. What
                it really means isn't as obvious as you might think it is. Socrates
                said, that the reason why we MUST pursue philosophy, is because it is
                our immortality that is at stake.

                Now, what in the hell is that supposed to REALLY mean? You have to
                think like a Greeek, like a Socrates or a Plato, not like a
                Christian, or, like an anti-Christian atheist, to really GET what
                this REALLY means. Start by asking this question about the opposite
                kind of thing. Which part of us really is the mortal part? The soul?
                Or the body?

                The Phaedo isn't really about the immortality of the soul at all. It
                is about how Socrates, himself, became immortal. Even while he was
                still breathing!

                Hb3g
              • eupraxis@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 3, 2008
                  Hb3g

                  "Which part of us really is the mortal part? The soul? Or the body?"

                  Response: What in the world are you getting yourself into now?.
                  ---
                  "The Phaedo isn't really about the immortality of the soul at all. It is
                  about how Socrates, himself, became immortal."

                  Response: Really? Is that so? What edition do you have? Mine is about the
                  immortality of the soul.

                  Wil