Re: Wanted

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 11, 2008

      > Bill, Your own particular perceptiveness, humanity and narrative
      flair
      > are sorely lacking from the list in recent days. Among current
      > contributors, you are alone, in my view, in your ability to write
      as a
      > realistic champion of the working man. Wil and I differ in
      politics,
      > as in our perspective on religious faith. Not that I would wish to
      > make any comments on American politics, anyway. In the United
      Kingdom,
      > pragmatism tends to prevail. If it be possible, please return soon
      > with more of your robust and well-argued posts. I don't want to
      die a
      > terrible death of metaphysics and neuroscience. Louise
      >Louise, Thank you for the well spoken request, any return is
      broached with uncertainty and this situation is heightened by the
      mind space I have traveled since we last conversed. There has been
      medicine and business and and sport and politics and science.
      I have been involved with each of those areas and have retired to
      attempt to sort it all out. Most of it seemed significant at the time
      but now the weighting becomes a bother. I know the sequence has
      changed me but it is too soon to appreciate the magnitude of
      displacement. Race officials asked us to run our offshore boat but we
      declined, probably wise in that our captain can hardly stand. I have
      a photo with the Budweiser Girls that gives an idea of how old we
      are. I also have a photo with Captain Morgan. He is one of my heroes
      and I intersected his strength more than once in the islands.
      Hurricane medicine has been known to kill but sometimes you just get
      tired of running.
      That's the attitude that sucked me back into politics. I did not
      write to Existlist because my politics is not the topic of the
      list. I can say our candidate won his election, crucifixions will
      begin at dawn. I went back to review my super collider knowledge and
      am alert to that giant sucking sound from within. Blow an exponent
      and you could be off to a different dimension, create a black hole ,
      or restart time. I find it fun to think about as annihilation or a
      new age are both possible. I find the possibility of radical change
      to be less than the chances of dying in the boat race. That may seem
      terribly wrong weighted but for me they have the same outcome.
      Change of dimension completely disarms me, leaving me with questions
      of rate and position within a different space time continuum. I think
      I would rather suffer an instant spagettification while
      experiencing the new hallucinogen from down south. That would get
      these damn politics out of my head. Thanks for listening, write if
      feeling glib. Bill
    • Jewel
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 12, 2008
        Don't know what either of you are specifically discussing, but it seems
        in light of the core definitions of philosophy and existentialism, one
        can't be too general or too subjective.

        philosophy: (1) all learning exclusive of technical precepts and
        practical arts (2) the sciences and liberal arts exclusive of medicine,
        law, and theology

        existentialism: a chiefly 20th century philosophical movement embracing
        diverse doctrines but centering on analysis of individual existence in
        an unfathomable universe and the plight of the individual who must
        assume ultimate responsibility for acts of free will without any
        certain knowledge of what is right or wrong or good or bad

        I continue to read your interesting soliloquies.

        Jewel