Re: Dissemination of existentialism

  • Jewel
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 25, 2008

      There are matter and energy in this cosmos. Those are the
      fundamental elements. Nothingness is a metaphysical concept that has
      no place in this universe. It is a fanatical, human thought that has
      no definition or reality.

      **********

      I haven't read at this list for awhile for various reasons, but just
      wanted to note, Bill, that I agree.

      Imagination is a powerful brain activity, often under utilized for
      matters of serious consequence. Metaphysics, ontology and the like
      seem more like harmless entertainment to me, along with shitty
      sitcoms and hollywood stoner flicks.

      There are so many different ways to live and if someone chooses
      fantasy and doesn't get in my face, I could care less. The issue you
      further address, that of what comprises existentialist discussion,
      often becomes ridiculous and contentious, a time waster.

      I sense your weariness for combat and continental resurrections, of
      the dead philosphers that is, not insurrections. Those are personal.

      Jewel

      > It is obvious that few ,even of those on this list, have any
      working
      > understanding of existential philosophy. The recent debate
      regarding
      > nothingness underscores the conceptual defecit of most.
      > There are matter and energy in this cosmos. Those are the
      > fundamental elements. Nothingness is a metaphysical concept that
      has
      > no place in this universe. It is a fanatical, human thought that
      has
      > no definition or reality. If you wish to venture into mystical
      > fiction you do not belong here. There are numerous ,foolish
      > religions and creeds that can satiate your imagination with fun
      > concepts.
      > So how can one approach existentialism as a working, day to day
      > operating system. Wil approaches the problem from an adversarial
      and
      > combative framework. He is almost always correct and follows the
      > models of logical teaching that have built the modern world. I am
      on
      > his side but see limitations when speaking to soft headed little
      > princes of multiculturism and correctness.
      > As I have said I really do not desire to teach those flat world
      > dummies and see other ways of expressing existential ideas.
      > Louise and Mary have used poetry in an attempt to explain their
      > relation to existentialism. I am no valid judge of their efforts as
      > my poetic mastery is sorely limited. They bring existentialism
      into
      > the present where I think it belongs as a working philosophy.
      > Another approach is the homily but we are used to this form to
      teach
      > morals. That is a real problem for the existentialist as the medium
      > often directs toward some lesson of conduct. Indeed there are
      real
      > personal security concerns when one talks of contemporary events
      and
      > living persons. So, the homily need be fictitious and like
      Gullivers