Being & Thinking Overlap

  • a_living_breathing_being
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25 10:00 AM
      Herman, it seems to me that every 'thing' that claims the status of
      existing, coincides with be-ing (a tautology). Parmenides statement
      that "being and thinking are the same" or expressed as 'belonging to
      each other' strikes me as simply that they coincide, just as space
      itself is inseperable from time; so 'thinking' is inseperable from
      'being'. Yet we do posit the idea that whereas there are things that
      may exist-without-thinking (things that do not possess the attribute
      of mind), such as a slab of cement, still thinking cannot exist
      without be-ing. There is then a kind of synergism or combined effect
      between the act of thinking and the transitory process of be-ing.
      Several other words come to mind; simultaneousness, synchronicity,
      interaction, unity and interface; i.e., the action of thinking, which
      is basically noeisis; the operation of the mind. It is the mind
      (vous) that thinks; so really we can also say mind and being coincie
      and that 'feeling and being are the same'; we need not favor thinking
      over feeling. The whole goal is to decompartmentalize and
      defragmentize our conceptual process. One essentially strives toward
      a holistic approach or integrational approach to being aware; that
      being is presented as a totality (the one) and not broken down and
      reduced to elementary parts (the many).
      ALBB