Re: [existlist] Re: A short episode i n the pursuit of truth, or,  how society fails to work

  • eupraxis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8 5:28 AM
      Louise,

      First, let me remind you that the discussion was about belief in God, and
      that I had warned against using side issues as proxies in its behalf. You
      apparently are unable to do so. So be it.

      If you have backed off from your former apparent position regarding racism,
      that is fine with me. As far your Xiantiy being the fundamental reason for
      'loving your neighbor', and I suppose your 'liberalism' as well, I can only add
      that no such intermediary should be necessary for that position, but 'to each
      her own, as the saying goes.

      This appeal to free speech seems to be a strategic maneuver, and a facile one
      at that, to have your cake and eat it too. As if rejecting racism is
      tantamount to limiting your right to express yourself. No one here has ever asked you
      to be quiet, although I would counsel you to tread warily down that path.

      You want a mono-ethnic society because you privilege 'the West'. I, too,
      privilege 'the West', but being an American I know that 'being Western' (which is
      now a global discourse) has nothing to do with ethnicity. I rub elbows with
      all kinds of ethnicities every day without any culture shock. Everyone loves
      Voltaire and Newton, Einstein and Dickens, I assure you. And, as a special extra,
      there is more to choose from in the supermarket.

      Wil

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8 7:48 AM
        Wil,

        I think that there is little point in trying to persuade you any more
        to read what I actually write. Instead, for anyone who wishes to
        discover what my own clearly-stated beliefs are, and answers to
        questions arising so far, I would refer to previous posts at
        existlist, 44569, 44572, 44580, 44587, 44593, 44595, 44602, 44610.
        Any criticism or further questions are welcome, from any interested
        reader. The truth convinces, or it does not. There needs to be a
        motive arising from personal experience. I am always happy to listen
        for the truth others tell me. On this subject, Wil, you are not
        bringing me anything new that I have not already had to struggle
        with. We are on opposite sides of a fence. No harm there.

        Louise