Re: [existlist] Re: Awareness of the absurd

  • eupraxis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 2 4:50 PM
      In a message dated 8/2/08 6:02:17 PM, hecubatoher@... writes:
      > I know what you mean, Wil, but the confession was an honest one.

      Yes, at least there was that.

      Wil

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 5 3:37 AM
        [ALBB]
        I'm so sorry; here you go . . .

        "I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out
        there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out
        there is. Albert Camus

        [CSW]
        That is not a Camus quote -- It is a paraphrase of Blaise Pascal that
        has taken numerous forms and been quoted by several thinkers,
        including Pasteur.

        "Belief is a wise wager. Granted that faith cannot be proved, what
        harm will come to you if you gamble on its truth and it proves false?
        If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing. Wager, then,
        without hesitation, that He exists."

        Louise
        From an aesthetic point of view, I have always found the Pascalian
        wager quite repulsive. To gamble on truth is to make a rational
        choice, as though belief could be manufactured. Possibly it can.
        Human beings differ considerably. At any rate I can see no
        connection between what Pascal reckons to be faith, and what
        Kierkegaard means by the leap. Scepticism as a starting-point always
        has my trust. Even when Voltaire is not enjoyable to read, he proves
        most sound.
      • Jewel
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 5 8:51 AM

          From an aesthetic point of view, I have always found the Pascalian
          wager quite repulsive. To gamble on truth is to make a rational
          choice, as though belief could be manufactured. Possibly it can.
          Human beings differ considerably. At any rate I can see no
          connection between what Pascal reckons to be faith, and what
          Kierkegaard means by the leap. Scepticism as a starting-point always
          has my trust. Even when Voltaire is not enjoyable to read, he proves
          most sound.
          **********

          Skepticism has firm footing in Camus's theory of the absurd, and who
          has greater need of it than the person about to plunge to their
          literal death? Living isn't a leap or a gamble. It might be the
          ultimate skepticism.

          "In a man's attachment to life there is something stronger than all
          the ills of the world. the body's judgment is as good as the mind's,
          and the body shrinks from annihilation. We get into the habit of
          living before acquiring the habit of thinking. In that race that daily
          hastens us towards death, the body maintains its irreparable lead. In
          short the essence of the contradiction lies in what I shall call the
          act of eluding because it is both more and less than diversion in the
          Pascalian sense. Eluding is the invariable game. The typical act of
          eluding, the fatal evasion that constitutes the third theme of this
          essay, is hope. Hope of another life one must 'deserve' or trickery of
          those who live not for life itself but for some great idea that will
          transcend it, refine it, give it meaning, and betray itÂ…The leap does
          not represent an extreme danger as Kierkegaard would like it to do.
          The danger, on the contrary, lies in the subtle instant that precedes
          the leap. Being able to remain on that dizzying crest--that is
          integrity and the rest is subterfuge. I know also that never has
          helplessness inspired such harmonies as those of Kierkegaard. But if
          helplessness has its place in the indifferent landscapes of history,
          it has none in a reasoning who exigence is now known." (Myth of
          Sisyphus, Albert Camus)

          Camus feared that existentialism, which he confused with anarchistic
          nihilism, logically led to suicide. He recognized that faith can lead
          to suicide as well; and he thought people who lived without hope for
          eternity lived more responsibly, because this life is what we have
          now. Only we can create it.

          Jewel
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 6 2:08 PM
            > Even when Voltaire is not enjoyable to read, he proves most sound.

            Fatigue at the time of composition prevented me from seeing the
            carelessness of this remark. In fact, I have been engaged with reading
            the novel, "Candide", for the second time, and meant only to express my
            appreciation for the author's genius in this respect. Although I will
            have encountered the occasional quotation from other works, there is no
            other book of his that I have read. Louise