Re: [existlist] Robert Solomon

  • Exist List Moderator
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2008
      On Aug 01, 2008, at 20:17, wot53_2000 wrote:

      > I'm just sorry he died so young. I admit I'm a novice
      > but his overview of Existentialism and Nietzsche on The Teaching
      > Co. courses I thought were well done and understandable.
      >
      > Is there a specific reason you didn't like him C.S.?

      Probably similar to Wil's reaction... not always solid scholarship,
      Solomon read into other philosophers his own ideas. He would have been
      much better promoting his own views, in his own words, instead of
      misreading / partially reading others.

      This is not unique to Solomon. Sartre's scholarship was horrendous at
      times, as was Nietzsche's. These men had strong ideas and opinions,
      which they often "saw" in the words of others. In Nietzsche's case,
      his professors and other academics listed the various errors. For
      Sartre, Heidegger and Merleau-Ponty were constantly offering
      corrections.

      Solomon's simplifications of Sartre and Nietzsche are similar to the
      Existential Primer -- you cannot do justice to the ideas of others in
      abbreviated forms. However, Solomon took simplifications and expounded
      upon them for hundreds of pages.

      Again, I think Wil might have a more detailed response. I was always
      left wanting more detail and support for the claims made. Many of the
      claims were just too easy to discount, especially any statements about
      Sartre or Camus.

      - C. S. Wyatt
      that I shall be.
    • ccorey@frontiernet.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2008
        You would think the Late Bob Solomon to be an existentialist but in
        fact he was a Hegelian...........

        -c-

        Quoting wot53_2000 <wot53_2000@...>:

        > I'm just sorry he died so young. I admit I'm a novice
        > but his overview of Existentialism and Nietzsche on The Teaching
        > Co. courses I thought were well done and understandable.
        >
        > Is there a specific reason you didn't like him C.S.?
        >

        > **********
        > I would generally agree that Solomon was off the mark in most of his
        > writings. I use his texts only as introductions, then spend time
        > explaining why he was wrong. For many years, his were the only
        > "overview" texts I could locate for surveys of existential thought.
        >
        > Never, never, never (and I would repeat again, never) use Solomon as a
        > primary source for anything philosophical. Quote him to to open doors,
        > to enable corrections. Though I do like "What Nietzsche Really Said,"
        > the Kaufmann works are far better on Nietzsche.
        >
        > - C. S. Wyatt

        Christopher Corey
        Freedom is Existence