Re: [existlist] Re: a definition of the absurd

  • camusj
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 31, 2008
      On Jul 30, 2008, at 5:23:57 PM, a_living_breathing_being <a_living_breathing_being@...> wrote:
      From: a_living_breathing_being <a_living_breathing_being@...>
      Subject: [existlist] Re: a definition of the absurd
      Date: July 30, 2008 5:23:57 PM EDT
      To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
      Jessie: I have read philosophy and philosophised (is that a word?)
      for many years. While others might find meaning in the world as they
      encounter it, I do not. The human being seems, IMHO, poorly suited to
      the world he inhabits.

      A.L.B.B. Hi Jessie, It would seem to me that if you did not find
      meaning in the world, does that also mean that you do not find it
      within yourself either. I suppose some clarification is in order.
      Objects, such as a hammer or chair do not possess any intrinsic
      meaning. The ability you and I have to understand these objects and
      the world around us occurs in the dynamic processes of the mind and
      organic sensations and are then psychologically assigned to the
      realities we experience. So, I think I agree with you that there is
      no meaning in the world. I guess this goes to say that human beings,
      through the capacity of their mind, are the principle carriers of
      meaning. Meaning serves a very human function.

      Jessie: I would agree that the mind can be a pattern finding,
      organizing device, but that said, not always accurate or benificent.
      > Hitler thought he had discerned "meaning" in his theories of the
      value of humans, but he was, IMHO, quite wrong.

      A.L.B.B. Yes, that is for sure.

      Hello ALBB

      There are times when I have found meaning within myself, and many times when I have not.
      Although Sartre speaks of responsibility, and Camus of creating our own reality, I find the world an extremely limited place for humans.
      My personal theory for the existence of the human race, is that we have a well developed memory that confers survival value.  This makes the human race accidental survivors.

      Jessie