Re: [existlist] Sartre and Responsibility

  • Exist List Moderator
    Message 1 of 48 , Jul 31 3:31 PM
      On Jul 31, 2008, at 17:12, eupraxis@... wrote:

      > Kaufmann's Nietzsche text, "Nietzsche: Philosopher, Psychologist,
      > Antichrist" was a real breakthrough in its day, dispelling much of the
      > false Nazi associations that still dogged Nietzsche.

      I definitely prefer Kaufmann's works on Nietzsche.

      > Solomon was a very nice guy, but his interpretation of Nietzsche was
      > ... well, stupid.

      I would generally agree that Solomon was off the mark in most of his
      writings. I use his texts only as introductions, then spend time
      explaining why he was wrong. For many years, his were the only
      "overview" texts I could locate for surveys of existential thought.

      Never, never, never (and I would repeat again, never) use Solomon as a
      primary source for anything philosophical. Quote him to to open doors,
      to enable corrections. Though I do like "What Nietzsche Really Said,"
      the Kaufmann works are far better on Nietzsche.

      - C. S. Wyatt
      that I shall be.
    • Exist List Moderator
      Message 48 of 48 , Jul 31 3:31 PM