Re: Worry

  • Jewel
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 17, 2008
      <existlist1@...> wrote:

      In interviews Camus used (roughly) "content" to describe the
      character. Content might be a middle-space between happy and something
      else -- I'm just not sure what that else is. Despair seems to
      overstate the situation and acceptance seems the opposite of rebellion.

      I know that I dislike my current location. I am definitely not
      content. But, unlike the myth, I will eventually escape Minnesota and
      the routines here. I'm fortunate enough to have a glimmer of hope.
      Plus, I have a choice, technically speaking.

      Few of us are truly trapped in our positions. We generally can make
      other choices, even if they lead to worse situations.

      **********

      Thanks, CSW. These are possibilities further down the road, however...

      "From the moment absurdity is recognized, it becomes a passion, the
      most harrowing of all. But whether or not one can live with one's
      passions, whether or not one can accept their law, which is to burn
      the heart they simultaneously exalt—that is the whole question."(The
      Myth of Sisyphus, 1942)

      To revisit MoS is to remember the experience of the absurd which may
      lead to suicide. So yes, initially we could call it despair. Camus's
      argument for contentment, or resignation if you like, seems to me less
      the result of his logic or lucidity, and more a decisive, even
      derisive, leap back into life. "Does the Absurd dictate suicide?" It
      does seem the ultimate existential question. If we have experienced an
      epiphany of meaninglessness, which I take to mean purposelessness or
      insignificance, we initially admit hopelessness before we can
      appreciate the paradoxical opportunity of dasein. He uses the myth as
      an apt metaphor for the horrible difficulty and monotony some of us
      experience. Initially the absurd man rebels by choosing endurance,
      merely the habit of living, but no eluding with hope. Once committed
      we may contemplate; we may dissipate; we may perpetuate life. Because
      in order for the revolution of evolution to continue rolling, we have
      to hope in it.

      "Although 'The Myth of Sisyphus' poses mortal problems, it sums itself
      up for me as a lucid invitation to live and to create, in the very
      midst of the desert."(Albert Camus, 1955)

      Jewel