Re: [existlist] Sartre Being and nothingness

  • Exist List Moderator
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 16, 2008
      On Jul 15, 2008, at 18:17, carac3 wrote:

      > Hello everyone
      >
      > I am a life long existentialist who has been lurking a bit, and
      > enjoying the messages.

      Not sure anyone can be a "life-long" anything. You had to evolve from
      somewhere to whatever you happen to be today.

      > I am wondering if anyone has read" Being and Nothingness" straight
      > through. I have tried
      > several times, but it is very tough reading for me.

      I had to replace a worn copy, so I finally have a new paperback. It is
      easier to read than anything by Heidegger, but more daunting than many
      other works. I agree with a previous comment about Merleau-Ponty --
      definitely worth the read.

      Give me Kafka, the clearest examples of absurdity and the closest to
      my own existence in higher education. I'm waiting for a check because
      the new accountant can't navigate our new software system, and our
      software support services haven't been trained on the new upgrade.
      So... checks are delayed. Kafkaesque logic: "We know we need to pay
      everyone, but the contractor won't train us until we pay their firm."

      - C. S. Wyatt
      that I shall be.