Re: Existentialism v's Eastern philosophy

  • ccorey@frontiernet.net
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 15, 2008
      I study, almost entirely, western philosophy and existentialism but I
      can say this:

      If you were in he opinion of JPS pure desire is the product of a
      complete nihilation of being hence the appropriate state for becoming
      God which, according to ?Human Emotions,? is man?s true and absolute
      desire. (hmmm?) So in the ?absence of all desire? one would be in
      possession of pure being (for-itself.)

      In the past, Christianity has suggested Eastern religion to be ?life
      denying? since it recommends meditations towards ?emptiness.? But in
      defence of the Eastern way of thinking one must ?empty? oneself of
      contradicting western conceptions ?in order to reach true
      enlightenment.? Standing at the still point, as T.S. Eliot would say,
      in a space between thoughts or in the absense of thoughts. This is the
      way.

      I might be speaking in platitudes here but Krishnamurti says it best
      when ?really? considering the desire you speak of:

      ?We know, do we not, the desire which contradicts itself, which is
      tortured, pulling in different directions; the pain, the turmoil, the
      anxiety of desire, and the disciplining, the controlling. And, in the
      everlasting battle with it, we twist it out of all shape and
      recognition; but it is there, constantly watching, waiting, pushing.
      Do what you will, sublimate it, escape from it, deny it or accept it,
      give it full rein - it is always there. And, we know how the religious
      teachers and others have said that we should be desireless, cultivate
      detachment, be free from desire-which is really absurd, because desire
      has to be understood, not destroyed.

      -c-