Two selves

  • eupraxis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2008
      Louise,

      The dual self idea goes very far back (see Plato's Symposium). But the sense
      that comes closest to what I was speaking about can be seen in the
      proto-humanist writings of Petrarch, and again in Kant, especially in his late piece on
      reason and religion (qv his distinction between the 'two wills'). The
      Descartes' duality is a different matter, being an ontological distinction rather than
      an axiological or ethical one, but one can glean something like it in his
      writings on the passions, if memory strikes me right.

      Wil