Re: [existlist] Re: Traditional English Culture

  • Aija Veldre Beldavs
    Message 1 of 39 , Jul 4, 2008
      > A "clear philosophical context" is unlikely without a critical apparatus in
      > place. Philosophy since Descartes is precisely the acknowledgement of critique
      > over the blind acceptance of tradition and dogma. That is the whole point of
      > "Modernity" vs the philosophical 'ancien regime' that preceded it.

      > Wil

      agree for a need & place for critical apparatus, and agree that while
      scientific thought does in fact have precedents in earlier times, modern
      science is as statee, a modern phenomena. however, the broad conceptual
      dualism of modernity vs "blind acceptance of tradition and dogma =
      ancien regime" is far from critical or verifiable by testing and
      assessment standards widely accepted today, and given sufficient
      interest and resources easily disprovable.

      for starters, tradition is not equivalent to dogma, not even "English
      tradition" i suppose,:) nor does it work through "blind acceptance."
      tradition is not fixed inscription, but a system of interactive living
      processes. past traditional peoples had their acknowledged artists,
      innovators, craftspeople technicians, proto-scientists, rebels, misfits
      etc. rather than being some homogeneous static entity as outsiders might
      like to assume. today's traditionally-oriented people share
      characteristics and technology with the rest of the modern world.

      also valid assessment, to use the word valid as assessing what it is
      supposed to assess, doesn't make that kind of sweeping conclusions
      across entire human society timespaces. modern assessment is not just
      standardized but also flexible and APPROPRIATE, humble when it comes to
      high-stakes decisions, and with a humanistic tilt (ie. tries to avoid
      being the cause of harm).

      otoh, why preach to those who already hold the whole Truth and nothing
      but the Truth? missionary work doesn't appeal to all - booring.:) the
      concept of each finding his own way to truth was discovered variously in
      many places long before existentialism.

      "Sun setting in a red tree.
      Young boys became old men searching for such a tree."
      (daina used creatively in different contexts)

      aija
      Message 39 of 39 , Jul 15, 2008

        > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "louise" <hecubatoher@> wrote:
        > >
        > > It is an excellent question, and one that I wish to answer with
        due
        > > care. My hope would be to have something ready to post within
        two
        > or
        > > three days. There are also one or two points raised recently by
        > Jim
        > > that I have not yet got around to addressing.
        > >
        > > Louise
        > > Louise, Do not bite on that cunard. Wil is a logic bomb and he
        > will take you apart. You do not need the grief . Americans have a
        > very different concepts of racism and it is very well documented
        by
        > that little problem called the Civil War. I do not understand the
        > Civil War and I have studied it for many years. That horror changed
        > us, made us see race from an entirely different perspective. I have
        > stood in the Lincoln Memorial in DC and read Lincolns words in
        stone.
        > They would be very difficult for you to comprehend as they were for
        > me. If you should wish to find our beginnings of thought regarding
        > race go to Jefferson. We are not confused as to desired outcomes of
        > racial argumentation but our course has been violent and filled
        with
        > hate. Wil, as a New Yorker living in Dixie knows the ins and outs
        of
        > the melange to perfection. I would drop it were I you. Bill

        Thanks for the advice, Bill. I trust your judgment. There is plenty
        more to be said about these subjects, and my intuition confirms in
        any case what you write about the different concepts of racism held
        by Americans. It is all a various and bloody picture, and existlist
        is clearly not the place to discuss the matter further. Louise