Re: [existlist] Re: Traditional English Culture

  • eupraxis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 39 , Jul 4, 2008
      In a message dated 7/4/08 9:36:39 AM, hecubatoher@... writes:

      > self-criticism is unlikely to be helpful in the absence of clear
      > philosophical context. that is, it ocmes close to being merely
      > blame ... by the stronger party. louise

      Louise,

      A "clear philosophical context" is unlikely without a critical apparatus in
      place. Philosophy since Descartes is precisely the acknowledgement of critique
      over the blind acceptance of tradition and dogma. That is the whole point of
      "Modernity" vs the philosophical 'ancien regime' that preceded it.

      But you seem to argue that you have a divided self with one side being the
      stronger party dispensing blame, rather like some Freudian Super-Ego. But what
      if the "blame" is apt? Why else would it be the stronger side? But, again,
      "blame" is such an odd idea in this context, where truth and propriety should
      otherwise one's glad tidings!

      Wil

      Message 39 of 39 , Jul 15, 2008

        > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "louise" <hecubatoher@> wrote:
        > >
        > > It is an excellent question, and one that I wish to answer with
        due
        > > care. My hope would be to have something ready to post within
        two
        > or
        > > three days. There are also one or two points raised recently by
        > Jim
        > > that I have not yet got around to addressing.
        > >
        > > Louise
        > > Louise, Do not bite on that cunard. Wil is a logic bomb and he
        > will take you apart. You do not need the grief . Americans have a
        > very different concepts of racism and it is very well documented
        by
        > that little problem called the Civil War. I do not understand the
        > Civil War and I have studied it for many years. That horror changed
        > us, made us see race from an entirely different perspective. I have
        > stood in the Lincoln Memorial in DC and read Lincolns words in
        stone.
        > They would be very difficult for you to comprehend as they were for
        > me. If you should wish to find our beginnings of thought regarding
        > race go to Jefferson. We are not confused as to desired outcomes of
        > racial argumentation but our course has been violent and filled
        with
        > hate. Wil, as a New Yorker living in Dixie knows the ins and outs
        of
        > the melange to perfection. I would drop it were I you. Bill

        Thanks for the advice, Bill. I trust your judgment. There is plenty
        more to be said about these subjects, and my intuition confirms in
        any case what you write about the different concepts of racism held
        by Americans. It is all a various and bloody picture, and existlist
        is clearly not the place to discuss the matter further. Louise