non-traditional existentialists

  • mary.jo11
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 3, 2008
      Raising children has been the significant experience of my life, and I
      not so humbly consider it a contribution to society.

      I take issue with "solidarity," that existential ax, because of its
      tendency to totalitarian impulses, in both private and public spheres.
      The compromise and cost are usually not fully assessed until after the
      damage is done. Maybe I'm just old and tired. Things just seemed more
      romantic, idealistic, and possible when I was much younger. My hope
      for the future is tempered not rusted.

      This evening there will be fireworks and celebrations. We remember the
      individual privateers, slaves, and free men and women who forged this
      great melting pot into which we all eventually disappear, overly taxed
      and underrepresented, still luckier than many. Nation seems a strange
      and necessary construct.

      Existentialism isn't a static concept or philosophy seeking objective
      truths. Perhaps it's merely a vigilant advocacy for the silent alien
      other who stands at the door but cannot or refuses to come in. It
      recognizes a frustrating, unsolvable paradox. Even the most "normal"
      or "well adjusted" among us might feel that kind of incommunicable
      isolation.

      E pluribus unum now seems a clever marketing scam, no pun intended.

      Mary

      >sorry your experience of connectedness has been negative.
      >mine has been more positive than negative, though i've learned from
      >both, and it has been a means for me to develop as an individual.
      >alienation, connectedness, freedom, and enslavement are universally
      >experienced in different degrees both individually and collectively.

      aija
    • Aija Veldre Beldavs
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 3, 2008
        > Perhaps it's merely a vigilant advocacy for the silent alien
        > other who stands at the door but cannot or refuses to come in.
        > Mary

        no problem, precedents exist if one is willing to look beyond the usual
        norm.:)

        many pre-agricultural & herding peoples related to a great variety of
        animals, not just herd animals, and some societies remembered this even
        after they became domesticated. Bear Woman doesn't get the kind of
        support from her mate as the wolf or the penguin (of the latter some are
        homosexual). Inescapably Nature has variety and she is the first living
        book that people study as to what niches living forms occupy.

        "Kungi raksta graamataa,
        Saule kljava lapinjaa.
        Lords/ masters write in a book,
        Sun, she writes in a maple leaf."
        (recorded in different variants, latv. folk/ daina-song)

        there are archaic societies that recognized order and disorder/ chaos
        beyond duality to be part of the same system. thus, awe and respect,
        rather than vilification, fear, or hatred of the strange going back to a
        cognitive revolution taking place throughout the world as evidenced by
        cave and rock art. DMT (N,N-dimethyltryptamine) spiritual experiences
        going back to those days gives the experience of making the strange
        familiar and the familiar strange, as well as sensing connectedness of
        all within Nature/ the Cosmos.

        until many Great Civilizations (starting with Zoroastrianism) classified
        what was ambiguous as Evil, shamans, wise women/witches, tricksters,
        third sexes, & so on were "our strangers" (all of them deviating from
        the norm by choice or mis/fortune) esp. among such peoples as the
        Uralic. ambiguous (potentially dangerous or helpful according to
        circumstances), rather than Good or Bad natural forces or deities have
        been more characteristic of archaic religions, and this is still the
        case among a number of indigenous peoples who of course have modified
        their traditions to fit current circumstances.

        from the ecological point of view non-dominant alternative world
        insights are worth studying and respecting as part of human experience,
        especially since normative truths of any one society are widely taken to
        be self-evident, including the dominant ones today.

        animals and plants, later considered disgusting and associated with
        witches or the Devil, such as toads, snakes, or mushrooms were in
        earlier times respected as part of Nature. mystical experience, derived
        from entheogenics &/or other means known in shamanism with reasonable
        probability gave an early sense of all things being connected.

        one of the first to suggest the role of entheogenics in the
        break-through to a pre-agricultural human spirituality, Gordon Wasson
        (Soma: Divine Mushroom of Immortality, 1967) observed that Europe seemed
        to be divided into mycophobic and mycophilic regions (as in Uralic
        peoples experience), France and the Mediterranean littoral from Majorca
        and Catalonia to Provence being exceptions to generally western peoples
        mycophobia. check out the more recent & rigorous study done by Johns
        Hopkins University on psilocybin mushrooms for potentially legal medical
        therapeutic use:
        http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/Press_releases/2006/07_11_06.html

        aija
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 3, 2008
          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Aija Veldre Beldavs <beldavsa@...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          > break-through to a pre-agricultural human spirituality, Gordon
          Wasson
          > (Soma: Divine Mushroom of Immortality, 1967) observed that Europe
          seemed
          > to be divided into mycophobic and mycophilic regions (as in Uralic
          > peoples experience), France and the Mediterranean littoral from
          Majorca
          > and Catalonia to Provence being exceptions to generally western
          peoples
          > mycophobia. check out the more recent & rigorous study done by
          Johns
          > Hopkins University on psilocybin mushrooms for potentially legal
          medical
          > therapeutic use:
          > http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/Press_releases/2006/07_11_06.html
          >
          > aija
          >Kiss my ass. And thanks for the religous slime tour, call Obam, he
          will get you a seet. Bill