Re: Ferguson & Empires

  • mary.jo11
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 3, 2008
      aija,

      I have the luxury of choosing to be contrary and non-traditional. Some
      Others do not. When you use a popular phrase such as the "nature of
      connectedness" I cringe, because my experience is that only those who
      experience it know what it is. I've bleed on both sides of that sword.

      Mary
    • Aija Veldre Beldavs
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 3, 2008
        > I have the luxury of choosing to be contrary and non-traditional. Some
        > Others do not. When you use a popular phrase such as the "nature of
        > connectedness" I cringe, because my experience is that only those who
        > experience it know what it is. I've bleed on both sides of that sword.
        > Mary

        sorry your experience of connectedness has been negative.
        mine has been more positive than negative, though i've learned from
        both, and it has been a means for me to develop as an individual.
        alienation, connectedness, freedom, and enslavement are universally
        experienced in different degrees both individually and collectively.

        aija
      • mary.jo11
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 3, 2008
          Raising children has been the significant experience of my life, and I
          not so humbly consider it a contribution to society.

          I take issue with "solidarity," that existential ax, because of its
          tendency to totalitarian impulses, in both private and public spheres.
          The compromise and cost are usually not fully assessed until after the
          damage is done. Maybe I'm just old and tired. Things just seemed more
          romantic, idealistic, and possible when I was much younger. My hope
          for the future is tempered not rusted.

          This evening there will be fireworks and celebrations. We remember the
          individual privateers, slaves, and free men and women who forged this
          great melting pot into which we all eventually disappear, overly taxed
          and underrepresented, still luckier than many. Nation seems a strange
          and necessary construct.

          Existentialism isn't a static concept or philosophy seeking objective
          truths. Perhaps it's merely a vigilant advocacy for the silent alien
          other who stands at the door but cannot or refuses to come in. It
          recognizes a frustrating, unsolvable paradox. Even the most "normal"
          or "well adjusted" among us might feel that kind of incommunicable
          isolation.

          E pluribus unum now seems a clever marketing scam, no pun intended.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 3, 2008
            > Perhaps it's merely a vigilant advocacy for the silent alien
            > other who stands at the door but cannot or refuses to come in.
            > Mary

            no problem, precedents exist if one is willing to look beyond the usual
            norm.:)

            many pre-agricultural & herding peoples related to a great variety of
            animals, not just herd animals, and some societies remembered this even
            after they became domesticated. Bear Woman doesn't get the kind of
            support from her mate as the wolf or the penguin (of the latter some are
            homosexual). Inescapably Nature has variety and she is the first living
            book that people study as to what niches living forms occupy.

            "Kungi raksta graamataa,
            Saule kljava lapinjaa.
            Lords/ masters write in a book,
            Sun, she writes in a maple leaf."
            (recorded in different variants, latv. folk/ daina-song)

            there are archaic societies that recognized order and disorder/ chaos
            beyond duality to be part of the same system. thus, awe and respect,
            rather than vilification, fear, or hatred of the strange going back to a
            cognitive revolution taking place throughout the world as evidenced by
            cave and rock art. DMT (N,N-dimethyltryptamine) spiritual experiences
            going back to those days gives the experience of making the strange
            familiar and the familiar strange, as well as sensing connectedness of
            all within Nature/ the Cosmos.

            until many Great Civilizations (starting with Zoroastrianism) classified
            what was ambiguous as Evil, shamans, wise women/witches, tricksters,
            third sexes, & so on were "our strangers" (all of them deviating from
            the norm by choice or mis/fortune) esp. among such peoples as the
            Uralic. ambiguous (potentially dangerous or helpful according to
            circumstances), rather than Good or Bad natural forces or deities have
            been more characteristic of archaic religions, and this is still the
            case among a number of indigenous peoples who of course have modified
            their traditions to fit current circumstances.

            from the ecological point of view non-dominant alternative world
            insights are worth studying and respecting as part of human experience,
            especially since normative truths of any one society are widely taken to
            be self-evident, including the dominant ones today.

            animals and plants, later considered disgusting and associated with
            witches or the Devil, such as toads, snakes, or mushrooms were in
            earlier times respected as part of Nature. mystical experience, derived
            from entheogenics &/or other means known in shamanism with reasonable
            probability gave an early sense of all things being connected.

            one of the first to suggest the role of entheogenics in the
            break-through to a pre-agricultural human spirituality, Gordon Wasson
            (Soma: Divine Mushroom of Immortality, 1967) observed that Europe seemed
            to be divided into mycophobic and mycophilic regions (as in Uralic
            peoples experience), France and the Mediterranean littoral from Majorca
            and Catalonia to Provence being exceptions to generally western peoples
            mycophobia. check out the more recent & rigorous study done by Johns
            Hopkins University on psilocybin mushrooms for potentially legal medical
            therapeutic use:
            http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/Press_releases/2006/07_11_06.html

            aija
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 3, 2008
              --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Aija Veldre Beldavs <beldavsa@...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              > break-through to a pre-agricultural human spirituality, Gordon
              Wasson
              > (Soma: Divine Mushroom of Immortality, 1967) observed that Europe
              seemed
              > to be divided into mycophobic and mycophilic regions (as in Uralic
              > peoples experience), France and the Mediterranean littoral from
              Majorca
              > and Catalonia to Provence being exceptions to generally western
              peoples
              > mycophobia. check out the more recent & rigorous study done by
              Johns
              > Hopkins University on psilocybin mushrooms for potentially legal
              medical
              > therapeutic use:
              > http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/Press_releases/2006/07_11_06.html
              >
              > aija
              >Kiss my ass. And thanks for the religous slime tour, call Obam, he
              will get you a seet. Bill