Re: [existlist] Traditional English Culture

  • eupraxis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 39 , Jul 3, 2008
      Jim,

      Thanks for that post. You are, of course, quite correct. I would like to add
      one additional point to this discussion that seems often to be missed by many
      of us, and probably to all of us once in a while.

      All of us embody various prejudices, especially of the xenogenetic variety.
      We prefer the folks in our own house to those next door, our street to the
      next, our town to the ones remote, our country to others; just as we feel closer
      to those gens most familiar to us. The point of a philosophical engagement with
      life, including our own life, is to be critical about it. We may hold a
      secret, or not so secret, point of view stemming from our tradition or upbringing,
      etc., but that does not amount to our 'true' position. It is precisely what a
      reflective life has to be vigilant against. Upon reflection, we may actually
      affirm the 'superiority' of, say, the European Enlightenment over, say,
      religious authoritarianism, as I in fact do. But more often than not we have to
      retrain our entrails and reorient our instincts to a sensibility more in keeping
      with our future better natures, which is an unsettling and difficult matter.

      The goal of philosophy, in my opinion, is not to affirm one's life, but to
      change it.

      Wil

      Message 39 of 39 , Jul 15, 2008

        > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "louise" <hecubatoher@> wrote:
        > >
        > > It is an excellent question, and one that I wish to answer with
        due
        > > care. My hope would be to have something ready to post within
        two
        > or
        > > three days. There are also one or two points raised recently by
        > Jim
        > > that I have not yet got around to addressing.
        > >
        > > Louise
        > > Louise, Do not bite on that cunard. Wil is a logic bomb and he
        > will take you apart. You do not need the grief . Americans have a
        > very different concepts of racism and it is very well documented
        by
        > that little problem called the Civil War. I do not understand the
        > Civil War and I have studied it for many years. That horror changed
        > us, made us see race from an entirely different perspective. I have
        > stood in the Lincoln Memorial in DC and read Lincolns words in
        stone.
        > They would be very difficult for you to comprehend as they were for
        > me. If you should wish to find our beginnings of thought regarding
        > race go to Jefferson. We are not confused as to desired outcomes of
        > racial argumentation but our course has been violent and filled
        with
        > hate. Wil, as a New Yorker living in Dixie knows the ins and outs
        of
        > the melange to perfection. I would drop it were I you. Bill

        Thanks for the advice, Bill. I trust your judgment. There is plenty
        more to be said about these subjects, and my intuition confirms in
        any case what you write about the different concepts of racism held
        by Americans. It is all a various and bloody picture, and existlist
        is clearly not the place to discuss the matter further. Louise