Re: [existlist] Literary abuses

  • eupraxis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2008
      What are you asking? I do not feel particularly distressed, and I am not
      given to handing things over to the authorities, whatever that means. What amnesty
      do you require?

      Wil

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2008
        It was an analogy. Prompted, I suppose, by a feeling of misery
        induced by hearing of the latest spate of violent crime in the UK
        capital. Many young people have been stabbed to death in separate
        incidents in London. Bill's post about criminals triggered the
        association. One of the police responses to gun and knife crime has
        been, periodically, to announce an amnesty, so that dangerous weapons
        can be handed over without incurring any questions. My incoherent
        state of mind also linked his mention of vandalism with our recent
        discussion of Aryan peoples and their historic migrations. This
        degree of incoherence goes hand in hand with a feeling of more or
        less physical assault arising from irony or sarcasm that I am unable
        to understand or place in context. When I composed the post to which
        you are replying, I did not have in mind you, Wil, personally, since
        as I have already remarked, irony does not seem to suit you, and
        therefore does not hurt me. If that makes any sense. Maybe it's a
        more natural form of self-defence, for certain personality types.

        Louise

      • eupraxis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2008
          Actually, I am a big fan of irony and sarcasm.

          Wil

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2008
            Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I am viewing you from a perspective
            alien to you, a particular Protestant Christian tradition. So I am
            able to enjoy your irony, if my perception is clear enough. This is
            all connected, for me, with Kierkegaard's view of the relationship
            between the aesthetic level of awareness (despair of the young
            man, "Either/Or") and the ethical (represented by Judge William). I
            do wonder exactly what gods are in charge of the earth, in the twenty-
            first century. Their sense of humour seems most alarming. Or maybe
            they just enjoy torture.

            Louise