Literary abuses

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2008
      It would be good, possibly, to have an amnesty, in which all ironic
      barbs could be handed over to the authorities, since the complexity of
      public discourse tends to turn good will awry.

      Distressed philosopher
    • eupraxis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2008
        What are you asking? I do not feel particularly distressed, and I am not
        given to handing things over to the authorities, whatever that means. What amnesty
        do you require?

        Wil

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2008
          It was an analogy. Prompted, I suppose, by a feeling of misery
          induced by hearing of the latest spate of violent crime in the UK
          capital. Many young people have been stabbed to death in separate
          incidents in London. Bill's post about criminals triggered the
          association. One of the police responses to gun and knife crime has
          been, periodically, to announce an amnesty, so that dangerous weapons
          can be handed over without incurring any questions. My incoherent
          state of mind also linked his mention of vandalism with our recent
          discussion of Aryan peoples and their historic migrations. This
          degree of incoherence goes hand in hand with a feeling of more or
          less physical assault arising from irony or sarcasm that I am unable
          to understand or place in context. When I composed the post to which
          you are replying, I did not have in mind you, Wil, personally, since
          as I have already remarked, irony does not seem to suit you, and
          therefore does not hurt me. If that makes any sense. Maybe it's a
          more natural form of self-defence, for certain personality types.

          Louise

        • eupraxis@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2008
            Actually, I am a big fan of irony and sarcasm.

            Wil

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3, 2008
              Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I am viewing you from a perspective
              alien to you, a particular Protestant Christian tradition. So I am
              able to enjoy your irony, if my perception is clear enough. This is
              all connected, for me, with Kierkegaard's view of the relationship
              between the aesthetic level of awareness (despair of the young
              man, "Either/Or") and the ethical (represented by Judge William). I
              do wonder exactly what gods are in charge of the earth, in the twenty-
              first century. Their sense of humour seems most alarming. Or maybe
              they just enjoy torture.

              Louise