fittest aliens among us

  • mary.jo11
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
      "We believe we have now shown that there is a tendency in nature to the
      continued progression of certain classes of varieties further and
      further from the original type—a progression to which there appears no
      reason to assign any definite limits—and that the same principle which
      produces this result in a state of nature will also explain why
      domestic varieties have a tendency to revert to the original type. This
      progression, by minute steps, in various directions, but always checked
      and balanced by the necessary conditions, subject to which alone
      existence can be preserved, may, it is believed, be followed out so as
      to agree with all the phenomena presented by organized beings, their
      extinction and succession in past ages, and all the extraordinary
      modifications of form, instinct, and habits which they exhibit."

      From "On The Tendency of Species To Form Varieties"
      C. Darwin & A. Wallace, 1858

      The horrible impulse in some of humanity to organize via racial
      philosophy and ideology continues and my only defense against it is a
      radical, individual, instinctual existentialism. For those who have
      access to American public television programming, I recommend the
      current three-part series, "The War Of The World" by Niall Ferguson. Do
      we adapt and survive as individuals or as members of nations, empires,
      or particular ethnic groups?

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
        M--- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.jo11" <mary.jo11@...> wrote:

        > "We believe we have now shown that there is a tendency in nature to
        the
        > continued progression of certain classes of varieties further and
        > further from the original type—a progression to which there appears
        no
        > reason to assign any definite limits—and that the same principle
        which
        > produces this result in a state of nature will also explain why
        > domestic varieties have a tendency to revert to the original type.
        This
        > progression, by minute steps, in various directions, but always
        checked
        > and balanced by the necessary conditions, subject to which alone
        > existence can be preserved, may, it is believed, be followed out so
        as
        > to agree with all the phenomena presented by organized beings,
        their
        > extinction and succession in past ages, and all the extraordinary
        > modifications of form, instinct, and habits which they exhibit."
        >
        > From "On The Tendency of Species To Form Varieties"
        > C. Darwin & A. Wallace, 1858
        >
        > The horrible impulse in some of humanity to organize via racial
        > philosophy and ideology continues and my only defense against it is
        > radical, individual, instinctual existentialism. For those who have
        > access to American public television programming, I recommend the
        > current three-part series, "The War Of The World" by Niall
        Ferguson. Do
        > we adapt and survive as individuals or as members of nations,
        empires,
        > or particular ethnic groups?
        >
        > Mary
        >Mary, As for as the DNA mutation, it is an individual matter. I
        understand the soft and unproven theory that extrinsic factors cause
        the mutation and therefore force evolution. It is the individuals
        DNA that is changed and may be passed on. To attribute this nidus of
        action to the environment is the idea that takes one into pantheist
        theory. That again, seems a retrograde activity.
        Robert Baer ,former CIA employee, says the Bush Adm. has been
        taken in by the Iran/Iraq oil consortium and the whole chance of
        continued cheap oil from those bastards is very small. Get ready for
        war, this time a real war with the whole world involved in one way or
        another. Bush the oil man will not be done this way and I do not see
        him sneaking away to Dubai. It may blow up, shit we all may blow up.
        You know my vote but I will no longer fan any flames. I`ll let the
        DOW do that and if you follow the market you too have motion
        sickness. The oil barons are demanding the world be given over to
        them and George is an oil man. Beyond morality and much more. I have
        been observing the theories of mind set of the Pharos, they would
        conquer the world and then force an afterlife. George claimed victory
        years ago in Iraq and now he has an excuse to go finish the war.
        Handing over to his successor a world in flames certainly favors the
        republican. So we take the oil and watch the world heat up as we burn
        all the oil we can get our hands on. Talk about a short term solution!
        I recently attended a session in rules pertaining to elder and
        child abuse. The whole area is a mad Hodge podge of single interest
        rules and is a horrible bureaucratic madness. You do not reform
        something like that , not in ten lifetimes. Something big and bad
        enough has to come to blow it away. Very few systems preform
        satisfactorily and multiple failures are overtaking our ability to
        fund them. One way or another we are facing hard corrections . I
        could see something like the cultural revolution of Mao, but bigger.
        Then we will see if we adapt and survive as individuals or as members
        of the PTA. Here, they are starting to fight in bars over the new
        smoking legislation, you can take your gun but not your butts. Come
        on folks, this is dichotomy leading to anarchy. We want very
        different things and are working toward nothing. I`ll try to do my
        job until they put one in my skull, even then they will bitch if I
        don`t take emergencies. Bill
      • Aija Veldre Beldavs
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
          > The horrible impulse in some of humanity to organize via racial
          > philosophy and ideology continues and my only defense against it is a
          > radical, individual, instinctual existentialism. For those who have
          > access to American public television programming, I recommend the
          > current three-part series, "The War Of The World" by Niall Ferguson. Do
          > we adapt and survive as individuals or as members of nations, empires,
          > or particular ethnic groups?
          > Mary

          haven't seen the series, but have heard "good" empire apologist Niall
          Ferguson on TV. Ferguson is certainly worth listening to, and some of
          his interpretations of history are worth examining, but the Baltic folk
          experience is anti-empire: as "undeutsch" (non-German) within the
          Russian Empire, Baltic indigenous people before Enlightenment and Herder
          were considered inferior (like the Irish in the West) and not in need of
          education since laborer peoples weren't supposed to be capable of higher
          sensibilities.

          Enlightenment in contrast didn't deny these sensibilities, but at the
          time assumed indigenous people would be assimilated to Higher Culture,
          which in the Baltic was declared to be equivalent to German and
          Christian. Herder went a step further than Enlightenment by stating
          indigenous languages and culture were in themselves valuable to humanity
          in terms of ecological variety.

          many Balts and Finns, as members of underclasses, were strongly leftist
          prior to the recently documented secret murder of Finns in Karelia
          before the invasion of Finland and prior to purges in 1937 in Russia of
          Latvian Reds prior to the invasion of the Baltic.

          i can agree with Ferguson there are more and less cruel empires, but
          that doesn't mean that Empire is an optimal structure in terms of
          enlightened, humane values. the British Empire, even as it opposed such
          gross forms of asymmetry of rights as caste, slavery, and female
          infanticide or suttee/sati, imposed its own inequalities in terms of
          religion, race, and class. it was no different from other empires in
          that it assumed One culture was more equal than others: British culture
          as superior. (i have no reason not to believe that enlightened Western
          Europeans no longer hold this prejudice.)

          Empire can also be opposed in it claim to right of "lebensraum,"
          colonial privileges, paternal over-seership, and Manifest Destiny, even
          if relatively benign. Empire does carry with it a layer of monoculture
          and normalization, such as mcdonaldisation. structurally a federation of
          a variety of states united by enlightened and humane humane laws with
          safeguards against aggression by any member is better if humane values,
          including diversity, are the goal.

          aija
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
            --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Aija Veldre Beldavs <beldavsa@...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            > as superior. (i have no reason not to believe that enlightened
            Western
            > Europeans no longer hold this prejudice.)
            >
            > Empire can also be opposed in it claim to right of "lebensraum,"
            > colonial privileges, paternal over-seership, and Manifest Destiny,
            even
            > if relatively benign. Empire does carry with it a layer of
            monoculture
            > and normalization, such as mcdonaldisation. structurally a
            federation of
            > a variety of states united by enlightened and humane humane laws
            with
            > safeguards against aggression by any member is better if humane
            values,
            > including diversity, are the goal.
            >
            > aija
            >No reason not to believe? Aiija, If you get the pronounds correct we
            might build a fabulous world. But it is mostly for you, we old
            Americans are tired so come try to take our future, it is wild and
            still free. Bill
          • mary.jo11
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2008
              aija,

              Surely you're not surprised I consider empire and/or culture equally
              harmful and beneficial to the individual. The term "folk" connotes
              both security and horror for me. I realize there is an
              educational/vocational imperative to generalize about history and
              culture, but for the individual these are problematic when one needs
              to reject given values and traditions. I don't promote individualism
              as dogma but as personal necessity. We should validate the benign
              Other in our midst, regardless. We join at our own peril, and isn't
              this what some existentialists have so poignantly demonstrated with
              their own reckless endorsements?

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2, 2008
                --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.jo11" <mary.jo11@...> wrote:

                > aija,
                >
                > Surely you're not surprised I consider empire and/or culture equally
                > harmful and beneficial to the individual. The term "folk" connotes
                > both security and horror for me. I realize there is an
                > educational/vocational imperative to generalize about history and
                > culture, but for the individual these are problematic when one needs
                > to reject given values and traditions. I don't promote individualism
                > as dogma but as personal necessity. We should validate the benign
                > Other in our midst, regardless. We join at our own peril, and isn't
                > this what some existentialists have so poignantly demonstrated with
                > their own reckless endorsements?
                >
                > Mary

                Mary,

                What I have a difficulty with are the general terms, if not tied to
                clear philosophical ideas. Existlist was often at its best when we
                were informal, when learning is taken seriously but worn lightly, and
                there is room for shared personal anecdote, within reason. I agree
                with you, that "folk" may connote both security and horror, but I do
                not find the idea of "validating the benign Other" provides any sort
                of consolation. It is all so exclusive. Existentialism has become
                such a catch-all term it is rather absurd. In promoting
                individualism, you are exact in your terms. Yet there are many ways
                to be an individual, and some of them are criminal. You personally
                live in a moral way, so that in arguing here, sincerely and with
                honesty for your own vision, there is no suggestion of incitement to
                irresponsibility. That is a kind of connection to
                existentialism ,but we do not seem to be in existential territory.
                My quarrel with your position is really that you sometimes promote
                moralism, by your confidence with denunciation. I think the
                existential tradition still has plenty to offer, and that it can take
                us beyond moralism without destroying decent custom and morality for
                ordinary people who, as I have been so thoroughly instructed by
                experience, really have little care for philosophical thought.

                Louise
              • Aija Veldre Beldavs
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 2, 2008
                  > aija,
                  >
                  > Surely you're not surprised I consider empire and/or culture equally
                  > harmful and beneficial to the individual. The term "folk" connotes
                  > both security and horror for me. I realize there is an
                  > educational/vocational imperative to generalize about history and
                  > culture, but for the individual these are problematic when one needs
                  > to reject given values and traditions. I don't promote individualism
                  > as dogma but as personal necessity. We should validate the benign
                  > Other in our midst, regardless. We join at our own peril, and isn't
                  > this what some existentialists have so poignantly demonstrated with
                  > their own reckless endorsements?
                  >
                  > Mary

                  being stuck in one spacetime version of a term does create problems...
                  are you also against its synonyms people and people's movements?
                  communities? how about consumers and consumer movements, then?

                  i suppose there are those who think folklorists are some kind of
                  sinister bunch, studying nefarious knowledge or that which is hopelessly
                  outdated, and they would like indigenous peoples throughout the world
                  should just shut up and dissolve. never mind that folklore studies
                  living, dynamic, evolving human systems, just like related fields like
                  anthropology and sociology, except it concentrates on the noncommercial
                  artistic production also of ordinary people, while folklife takes
                  special interest in non-dominant material culture.

                  you have your take, here's mine based on actually working in the field,
                  not just folkloristics but also with disadvantaged people in communities:

                  humans have been living in hearths or households (which of course are
                  NOT composed of just related people if the society is not radically
                  endogamous and exclusive (the early dispersed societies in the Baltic
                  were not, different anthropological types intermarrying) and small face
                  to face groups since before being humans.

                  social engineers have to work very hard to destroy mutually supportive
                  relationships as such development has been a natural part of humans
                  evolving. where this succeeds, people are less likely set free as
                  become a) manipulable within mass society &/or b) dysfunctional.

                  i believe people become free as they develop ever deeper and wider
                  understanding of what the nature is of connectedness.

                  there are all kinds of societies, including more open and closed. there
                  are membership rituals to include those that are not members, marriage,
                  adoption, blood brotherhood, and even strange things such as bee swarm
                  kinship in the Baltic (an archaic kinship type based on sharing rights
                  to forest honey as bee swarms migrate into unknown territory).

                  tradition - (good, bad, both, neither) is a flexible mechanism of
                  adaptation, not fixed, evaluated in terms of what it does. it takes at
                  least two people, and usually more, to have tradition in that tradition
                  involves communicating experience with someone other than oneself.

                  aija
                • mary.jo11
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 3, 2008
                    aija,

                    I have the luxury of choosing to be contrary and non-traditional. Some
                    Others do not. When you use a popular phrase such as the "nature of
                    connectedness" I cringe, because my experience is that only those who
                    experience it know what it is. I've bleed on both sides of that sword.

                    Mary
                  • Aija Veldre Beldavs
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 3, 2008
                      > I have the luxury of choosing to be contrary and non-traditional. Some
                      > Others do not. When you use a popular phrase such as the "nature of
                      > connectedness" I cringe, because my experience is that only those who
                      > experience it know what it is. I've bleed on both sides of that sword.
                      > Mary

                      sorry your experience of connectedness has been negative.
                      mine has been more positive than negative, though i've learned from
                      both, and it has been a means for me to develop as an individual.
                      alienation, connectedness, freedom, and enslavement are universally
                      experienced in different degrees both individually and collectively.

                      aija
                    • mary.jo11
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 3, 2008
                        Raising children has been the significant experience of my life, and I
                        not so humbly consider it a contribution to society.

                        I take issue with "solidarity," that existential ax, because of its
                        tendency to totalitarian impulses, in both private and public spheres.
                        The compromise and cost are usually not fully assessed until after the
                        damage is done. Maybe I'm just old and tired. Things just seemed more
                        romantic, idealistic, and possible when I was much younger. My hope
                        for the future is tempered not rusted.

                        This evening there will be fireworks and celebrations. We remember the
                        individual privateers, slaves, and free men and women who forged this
                        great melting pot into which we all eventually disappear, overly taxed
                        and underrepresented, still luckier than many. Nation seems a strange
                        and necessary construct.

                        Existentialism isn't a static concept or philosophy seeking objective
                        truths. Perhaps it's merely a vigilant advocacy for the silent alien
                        other who stands at the door but cannot or refuses to come in. It
                        recognizes a frustrating, unsolvable paradox. Even the most "normal"
                        or "well adjusted" among us might feel that kind of incommunicable
                        isolation.

                        E pluribus unum now seems a clever marketing scam, no pun intended.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 3, 2008
                          > Perhaps it's merely a vigilant advocacy for the silent alien
                          > other who stands at the door but cannot or refuses to come in.
                          > Mary

                          no problem, precedents exist if one is willing to look beyond the usual
                          norm.:)

                          many pre-agricultural & herding peoples related to a great variety of
                          animals, not just herd animals, and some societies remembered this even
                          after they became domesticated. Bear Woman doesn't get the kind of
                          support from her mate as the wolf or the penguin (of the latter some are
                          homosexual). Inescapably Nature has variety and she is the first living
                          book that people study as to what niches living forms occupy.

                          "Kungi raksta graamataa,
                          Saule kljava lapinjaa.
                          Lords/ masters write in a book,
                          Sun, she writes in a maple leaf."
                          (recorded in different variants, latv. folk/ daina-song)

                          there are archaic societies that recognized order and disorder/ chaos
                          beyond duality to be part of the same system. thus, awe and respect,
                          rather than vilification, fear, or hatred of the strange going back to a
                          cognitive revolution taking place throughout the world as evidenced by
                          cave and rock art. DMT (N,N-dimethyltryptamine) spiritual experiences
                          going back to those days gives the experience of making the strange
                          familiar and the familiar strange, as well as sensing connectedness of
                          all within Nature/ the Cosmos.

                          until many Great Civilizations (starting with Zoroastrianism) classified
                          what was ambiguous as Evil, shamans, wise women/witches, tricksters,
                          third sexes, & so on were "our strangers" (all of them deviating from
                          the norm by choice or mis/fortune) esp. among such peoples as the
                          Uralic. ambiguous (potentially dangerous or helpful according to
                          circumstances), rather than Good or Bad natural forces or deities have
                          been more characteristic of archaic religions, and this is still the
                          case among a number of indigenous peoples who of course have modified
                          their traditions to fit current circumstances.

                          from the ecological point of view non-dominant alternative world
                          insights are worth studying and respecting as part of human experience,
                          especially since normative truths of any one society are widely taken to
                          be self-evident, including the dominant ones today.

                          animals and plants, later considered disgusting and associated with
                          witches or the Devil, such as toads, snakes, or mushrooms were in
                          earlier times respected as part of Nature. mystical experience, derived
                          from entheogenics &/or other means known in shamanism with reasonable
                          probability gave an early sense of all things being connected.

                          one of the first to suggest the role of entheogenics in the
                          break-through to a pre-agricultural human spirituality, Gordon Wasson
                          (Soma: Divine Mushroom of Immortality, 1967) observed that Europe seemed
                          to be divided into mycophobic and mycophilic regions (as in Uralic
                          peoples experience), France and the Mediterranean littoral from Majorca
                          and Catalonia to Provence being exceptions to generally western peoples
                          mycophobia. check out the more recent & rigorous study done by Johns
                          Hopkins University on psilocybin mushrooms for potentially legal medical
                          therapeutic use:
                          http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/Press_releases/2006/07_11_06.html

                          aija
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 3, 2008
                            wrote:

> [...]
                            > break-through to a pre-agricultural human spirituality, Gordon
                            Wasson
                            > (Soma: Divine Mushroom of Immortality, 1967) observed that Europe
                            seemed
                            > to be divided into mycophobic and mycophilic regions (as in Uralic
                            > peoples experience), France and the Mediterranean littoral from
                            Majorca
                            > and Catalonia to Provence being exceptions to generally western
                            peoples
                            > mycophobia. check out the more recent & rigorous study done by
                            Johns
                            > Hopkins University on psilocybin mushrooms for potentially legal
                            medical
                            > therapeutic use:
                            > http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/Press_releases/2006/07_11_06.html
                            >
                            > aija
                            >Kiss my ass. And thanks for the religous slime tour, call Obam, he
                            will get you a seet. Bill