Re: tough enough for what?

  • C. S. Wyatt
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 8, 2008
      I can't comment on Pinker's views on racial differences, since I have only worked on
      general issues of decision making and brain damage. I do know that there are cultural
      differences that seem to affect brain development -- but those are not the result of
      breeding, since adopted children reflect the linguistic development of their new families.
      (Curiously, twin studies show moral impulses and even sociopathy more likely to be
      genetic.)

      My mention of Pinker was within a group of scholars. To dismiss his general research
      based on his ignorance or biases might not be the right thing to do. This doesn't mean his
      biases don't affect his research, either. Freud and Jung said some pretty ludicrous things
      about Jewish brains.

      This does point to something I do think we need to remember: being skilled or knowledgeable in one area does not make one special in all areas -- or even above
      reproach. We have Heidegger as a pretty good example of stupid brilliance.

      As for being deluded, versus intentionally nefarious, I theorize that anyone wanting to be
      president, prime minister, or whatever a nation has, is able to convince his or her self of all
      sorts of things. I'm not saying this is a good thing; too many are unable or unwilling to
      listen to advisers.

      What makes a person want power? Or, once a "good" person has power, what causes the
      eventual isolation and detachment? I wish I knew. Even admired men and women have
      been extremely flawed -- more so as their power and influence increased.

      - CSW