paranoia?

  • Mc Colly, Fred James
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2008
      when "nukes, conventional, machete, and stones" are considered by some
      to be viable solutions to the earth's problems? hardly...yes the
      inertia of weaons and armies move toward their use...alexander the
      great was lovingly followed by many from rhe mongols to adolph...that
      doen't mean that i have to agree with the social darwinists or anyone
      else that thinks "might makes right" or "grab them by their balls, and
      their hearts and minds will follow"...both may be true for a short
      time...but might is transitory and if you let go of those balls you're
      going to get hit as hard as the holdee can muster...better to not grab
      in the first place, take a deep breath, and do some serious re-thinking
      of your motivations (which are usually fairly base and
      self-oriented)...i'd be worried about a truman moment more within the
      next seven months(although they are possible anytime) as the moron's (
      liar too, but he's a politician...it's part of the toolkit) time in the
      warm glow of power runs short...he is as unstable as the rest( and also
      a pilot of some description somewhere along the line...although i could
      be mistaken about his actually being anything other than a mouthpiece)
      and, seemingly, god is on his side ( the fact that god's favor is
      claimed by all sides doesn't seem to make them stop and re-consider
      their notions of exclusivity) and if the nukes fly the righteous will
      be raptured up to jesus...the planet is seriously demented and,
      perhaps, extinction will be its salvation( there now you can add
      neo-nihilist to the paranoid tag) paranoia doen't do the situation
      justice...i'm just "joe doakes" who lives in suburbia, watching, mildly
      stunned, as we eat ourselves alive and trying to grasp its enormity and
      foolishness...we could fix it with some education and undertanding
      (bone up on you isaiah berlin)but we won't because it would mean we'd
      have to think about, and change our reasoning and
      rationalizations...and that's harder work than building and using
      nukes...habits are harder to kill than roaches
    • Aija Veldre Beldavs
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 8, 2008
        what are some "existential" responses to say David Korten (2006) -The
        Great Turning: From Empire to Earth Community- (also his -When
        Corporations Rule the World,- 2001 or before then Elisabeth Ryland...?)

        aija,
        added the plural for nature's diversity
      • Exist List Moderator
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 8, 2008
          Bring this back, clearly, to philosophy. What thinkers come to mind?
          Why? Who would or would not influence your thinking?

          If we all die in the end, how do you escape a nihilistic embrace of
          destruction?