Re: Bull and bear baiting

    Message 1 of 10 , May 14 6:40 AM
      > As with any nation, it remains to be seen how a new sheriff and his
      > posse will actually change things, or if they should.

      Might I ask the setting for this particular cowboy film??

      Do elections matter??

      Is the world governed by metaphor??

      How much of a handicap is an old-fashioned conscience??

      I didn't dare ask if it was literal, the baiting.

      Think it's where I came in.

      If you're an animal, goring may be legal.

      That's enough, lady. Sign off.

      Wounded Actress
    • mary.jo11
      Message 2 of 10 , May 14 9:11 AM
        Annie Get Your Gun?

        I misread baiting as Wall Street, and the sheriff as Sarkozy.

        I didn't know it was you. Feel free to delete/cancel me.

        It hardly matters.

        The black box metaphor might render elections pointless.

        My conscience once made me an excellent subordinate.

        I rebel: therefore I exist.

        Message 3 of 10 , May 14 10:27 AM
          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mary.jo11" <ophiuchus@...> wrote:

          > Annie Get Your Gun?

          Haven't seen it (a simple confession).

          > I misread baiting as Wall Street, and the sheriff as Sarkozy.

          Playing at politics? What I know about Soviet history has always led
          me into great fear and trembling in this regard. Likewise financial
          markets. Return to controversy of pseudonyms (the Kierkegaardian
          oeuvre). My own attempts at clarification have always been
          compromised - or ruined - by inadequate awareness of context. I take
          a very simple line: maintain separate domains of intellectual
          interest. Philosophy is not politics, neither is drama. What is
          responsibility? An existential question, or at least an ethical one.

          > I didn't know it was you. Feel free to delete/cancel me.

          This sounds like esoteric code. An example of my lack of awareness
          of context (see above).

          > It hardly matters.
          >
          > The black box metaphor might render elections pointless.
          >
          > My conscience once made me an excellent subordinate.
          >
          > I rebel: therefore I exist.

          Do you mean that you rebelled against your conscience in order to
          escape the status of subordinate? A novel thought, if so, and even
          if this were an unfair inference in your direction, does provide some
          kind of theory, for much human behaviour I have observed in recent
          years. (What was my name, again?). The list, what is the list.

          Message 4 of 10 , May 14 2:02 PM
            I have very little general acceptance of my species, they are
            competators so I in general prefer the company of animals. There was
            a time I could have been called a humanist but the unstoppable
            recurrence of war has dampned such idealism. War seems our only
            working population control and I think we will identify the war
            genes. What we do with that knowledge might determine our survival.
            Here, General, take this sugar cube and be rid of your proclivity
            for war. The only way that is going to happen is if the meekest of
            humans all take it first and then up through the ranks to the most
            deadly warrior. The final general should commit ritual suppuku . End
            the genetic need with an approiate symbolism and take responsibility
            for it all. It is an apocalyptic senario but shares ideas with the
            unibomber and Tymothy Leary. It would be as if they finally executed
            Manson and made the unibomber postmaster general.
            I think our genes are violent and when we try to breed away from it
            we get slaughtered. It is the competative system of finitude and may
            not be escapable in this universe. Therefore ,certainly guilt and
            most responsibility are tools of our competators. There have been
            cultures that admired the tactic of feigning guilt but feeling no
            emotional debt. Bushido lords would feign absolute lack of pity as
            there captives were boiled alive for a nights entertainment. Actually
            they were loving it but their nobility held their acting out in
            cheque. That is as twisted as our DNA so lecturing me as to
            responsibility could have suprising results. Interestingly Bushido
            Lords had given up animal torture but would rape and kill chinese for
            sport. Western man has forbidden animal cruelity but perseveres in
            most deadly warfare.
            Today I heard a Jewish insurance executive berate an Irish CEO as
            being to much like the simplistic brokers to turn a profit in the
            insurance rackets. That is how wars get started . Look at the white
            backlash vote in West Virginia all that deep seated competition is
            still back there, grinding away and howling for conflict.
            So I have seen bull and bear baiting, cock fighting and bull
            fighting, they disgust me but Caged human fighting is gaining
            popularity. Should I feel guilty? Bill
          • mary.jo11
            Message 5 of 10 , May 14 3:32 PM

              > I have very little general acceptance of my species, they are
              > competators so I in general prefer the company of animals. There was
              > a time I could have been called a humanist but the unstoppable
              > recurrence of war has dampned such idealism. War seems our only
              > working population control and I think we will identify the war
              > genes. What we do with that knowledge might determine our survival.
              > Here, General, take this sugar cube and be rid of your proclivity
              > for war. The only way that is going to happen is if the meekest of
              > humans all take it first and then up through the ranks to the most
              > deadly warrior. The final general should commit ritual suppuku . End
              > the genetic need with an approiate symbolism and take responsibility
              > for it all. It is an apocalyptic senario but shares ideas with the
              > unibomber and Tymothy Leary. It would be as if they finally executed
              > Manson and made the unibomber postmaster general.
              > I think our genes are violent and when we try to breed away from it
              > we get slaughtered. It is the competative system of finitude and may
              > not be escapable in this universe. Therefore ,certainly guilt and
              > most responsibility are tools of our competators. There have been
              > cultures that admired the tactic of feigning guilt but feeling no
              > emotional debt. Bushido lords would feign absolute lack of pity as
              > there captives were boiled alive for a nights entertainment. Actually
              > they were loving it but their nobility held their acting out in
              > cheque. That is as twisted as our DNA so lecturing me as to
              > responsibility could have suprising results. Interestingly Bushido
              > Lords had given up animal torture but would rape and kill chinese for
              > sport. Western man has forbidden animal cruelity but perseveres in
              > most deadly warfare.
              > Today I heard a Jewish insurance executive berate an Irish CEO as
              > being to much like the simplistic brokers to turn a profit in the
              > insurance rackets. That is how wars get started . Look at the white
              > backlash vote in West Virginia all that deep seated competition is
              > still back there, grinding away and howling for conflict.
              > So I have seen bull and bear baiting, cock fighting and bull
              > fighting, they disgust me but Caged human fighting is gaining
              > popularity. Should I feel guilty? Bill

              Bill,

              It's also hard to believe that competing for and defending what you
              need is unethical or irresponsible. We seem a bloody species but
              refusing to fend and defend ourselves might indicate we don't care
              about much, except idealism and philosophy which ignores that truth.