Re: Secret studies

    Message 1 of 8 , May 5, 2008
      Wil,

      Why are you so unphilosophical when political subjects arise? You
      tell me David Duke was personable, and that he was insane. Remember
      that my own adult life has been overshadowed by psychiatric
      descriptions, and that while you are not hurting my feelings, you are
      leaving unexplained what you consider insanity to be. For me, you
      have raised questions of identity. I might, if healthy and wishing
      to be politically active, become convinced that white separatism was
      a good idea, and join with other people - if they would have me! -
      and then I could describe myself as a white separatist; but while my
      life is a struggle simply to stay alive and mentally functioning, my
      identity has no discernible political content, at least in the terms
      apparently allowed under contemporary conditions. I have described
      myself as a liberal with a sense of hope, or desperation, that a time
      of permission to think aloud without terribly distressing flashbacks
      or paralysing fears might eventually arrive. All of this
      confessional stuff is definitely not to my taste either. I am slow
      to learn how to compromise, and in that regard perhaps not at all
      typically British.

      Louise

      > Louise,
      >
      > I have just Googled for Tyndall and the National website. This is
      > hardcore right-wing racism! I don't care how "doughty" he was, he
      was a
      > die-in-the-wool white supremacist and anti-Semite. There are
      actually
      > speeches of Hitler and Goebbels on the site. Geeze, Louise!
      >
      > I am a bit speechless, and certainly a little taken aback. Tell me,
      > though, why you feel drawn to this kind of thing, if you would.
      >
      > I was one of a few persons here who organized protests against
      David
      > Duke when he ran, and won, for the State legislature in Louisiana.
      The

      Message 2 of 8 , May 5, 2008

      • eupraxis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , May 5, 2008
          Louise,

          I think you are wrong about my political posts not being philosophical.
          Consider the post this morning on revolution and dialectics, for
          example. But maybe you are thinking that I was using an ad hominem
          against David Duke by calling him insane. I wasn't. I really believe
          that the man is quite out of his mind. You can see it in his eyes when
          you talk with him. You can see it in his autobiography, which I have
          read. But beyond that, I don't think that I am going out on a limb when
          I consider white supremacy to be a sign of mental disability, in any
          case. But I am willing to be disabused of this.

          I am not being glib when I ask that you put forward the case for this.
          I will listen without prejudice. I will remain beyond good and evil.

          Waiting.

          Wil

          Message 4 of 8 , May 5, 2008

            > Louise,
            >
            > I think you are wrong about my political posts not being
            philosophical.

            Yes, I was wrong. Now that I have been re-reading the post you
            mention, I am reminded that it would be good to slow down my efforts
            again, until an equilibrium returns. The sooner that my own mental
            condition ceases to be a topic in my own posts, the better. It is
            very difficult to put the case briefly and with due regard to
            sensitivities, especially when I recall over how long a period my own
            views have been forming, but I do believe you entirely when you say
            that you will listen without prejudice. Thank you for your clarity.