Re: [existlist] Secret studies

  • eupraxis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 5, 2008
      Ouch! Yes, I know him. He was an associate of David Duke, our own local
      racist (Louisiana). A white separatist. Well, ... to each his own (no
      pun intended).

      Wil

      Message 2 of 8 , May 5, 2008
        Wil,

        The point for me is that I did not wish to be drawn into politics as
        a topic at all, unless there was clear linkage to existential
        philosophy, or any of the other topics of the list. Bill did his
        best to explain his own perspective to my labouring understanding,
        and Susan intervened several times to steer us back on course. I do
        not consider myself a 'white separatist', for instance, though it
        might be much more pleasant for me to live in an all-white society
        than in contemporary UK. I really cannot tell. The experiences that
        the last few years have brought in the end produced a feeling that I
        could not remember why I ever thought it was worth being alive.
        Ultimately, one must persist. Again, it's a faith.

        Louise

      • eupraxis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , May 5, 2008
          Louise,

          I have just Googled for Tyndall and the National website. This is
          hardcore right-wing racism! I don't care how "doughty" he was, he was a
          die-in-the-wool white supremacist and anti-Semite. There are actually
          speeches of Hitler and Goebbels on the site. Geeze, Louise!

          I am a bit speechless, and certainly a little taken aback. Tell me,
          though, why you feel drawn to this kind of thing, if you would.

          I was one of a few persons here who organized protests against David
          Duke when he ran, and won, for the State legislature in Louisiana. The
          protest in Baton Rouge for his seating was the last of them. My
          girlfriend and I snuck inside the actual seating event (we wore all
          black and were mistaken for fascists). I met Duke in the hall and spoke
          openly to him. I was surprised by how personable he was. We spoke for a
          few moments before I was ushered away. The man has charisma -- but he
          is insane. Completely mad.

          Careful.

          Wil

          Message 4 of 8 , May 5, 2008
            Wil,

            Why are you so unphilosophical when political subjects arise? You
            tell me David Duke was personable, and that he was insane. Remember
            that my own adult life has been overshadowed by psychiatric
            descriptions, and that while you are not hurting my feelings, you are
            leaving unexplained what you consider insanity to be. For me, you
            have raised questions of identity. I might, if healthy and wishing
            to be politically active, become convinced that white separatism was
            a good idea, and join with other people - if they would have me! -
            and then I could describe myself as a white separatist; but while my
            life is a struggle simply to stay alive and mentally functioning, my
            identity has no discernible political content, at least in the terms
            apparently allowed under contemporary conditions. I have described
            myself as a liberal with a sense of hope, or desperation, that a time
            of permission to think aloud without terribly distressing flashbacks
            or paralysing fears might eventually arrive. All of this
            confessional stuff is definitely not to my taste either. I am slow
            to learn how to compromise, and in that regard perhaps not at all
            typically British.

            Louise

            Message 5 of 8 , May 5, 2008

            • eupraxis@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , May 5, 2008
                Louise,

                I think you are wrong about my political posts not being philosophical.
                Consider the post this morning on revolution and dialectics, for
                example. But maybe you are thinking that I was using an ad hominem
                against David Duke by calling him insane. I wasn't. I really believe
                that the man is quite out of his mind. You can see it in his eyes when
                you talk with him. You can see it in his autobiography, which I have
                read. But beyond that, I don't think that I am going out on a limb when
                I consider white supremacy to be a sign of mental disability, in any
                case. But I am willing to be disabused of this.

                I am not being glib when I ask that you put forward the case for this.
                I will listen without prejudice. I will remain beyond good and evil.

                Waiting.

                Wil

                Message 7 of 8 , May 5, 2008

                  > Louise,
                  >
                  > I think you are wrong about my political posts not being
                  philosophical.

                  Yes, I was wrong. Now that I have been re-reading the post you
                  mention, I am reminded that it would be good to slow down my efforts
                  again, until an equilibrium returns. The sooner that my own mental
                  condition ceases to be a topic in my own posts, the better. It is
                  very difficult to put the case briefly and with due regard to
                  sensitivities, especially when I recall over how long a period my own
                  views have been forming, but I do believe you entirely when you say
                  that you will listen without prejudice. Thank you for your clarity.