Secret studies

    Message 1 of 8 , May 5, 2008
      Honesty requires a hearer, at least if there is a charge to answer.
      Truth and falsehood bear their meanings within a context. How
      frequently it happens that context is not shared, and that at least
      one of the parties in an intended communication remain unaware of
      some vital part of the other's existence-world.

      Since 1982 I have been a reader of the independent British racial
      nationalist magazine, 'Spearhead', which ceased publication with the
      memorial issue of August 2005, following the sudden death of its
      editor, John Tyndall.
      A man of towering character, unique in contemporary British political
      history, a visionary who nevertheless reminaed firmly rooted in a
      Spenglerian fact-world, he upheld, through the conduct of his life
      and the way he wrote about the country he loved, a keen sense of
      ordered Civilisation, with all its defects, and Culture, with its
      organic instincts. By the testimony of those who knew him well, he
      was always a gentleman, and, above all else, a doughty British
      warrior, who never resiled from his understanding of the significance
      of race, of how it is the key to appreciating British ethnicity and
      the UK's role in the world of nations.
      It is all going rather badly at present, and the neglect of race as a
      subject for calm discussion can hardly be set aside as though it were
      not a matter of the first importance. For those, then, who are
      uninformed, misinformed, or simply interested in my own perspective
      on the British National Party, it's coming next. (May take a little
      while).

      Louise
    • eupraxis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 5, 2008
        Ouch! Yes, I know him. He was an associate of David Duke, our own local
        racist (Louisiana). A white separatist. Well, ... to each his own (no
        pun intended).

        Wil

        Message 3 of 8 , May 5, 2008
          Wil,

          The point for me is that I did not wish to be drawn into politics as
          a topic at all, unless there was clear linkage to existential
          philosophy, or any of the other topics of the list. Bill did his
          best to explain his own perspective to my labouring understanding,
          and Susan intervened several times to steer us back on course. I do
          not consider myself a 'white separatist', for instance, though it
          might be much more pleasant for me to live in an all-white society
          than in contemporary UK. I really cannot tell. The experiences that
          the last few years have brought in the end produced a feeling that I
          could not remember why I ever thought it was worth being alive.
          Ultimately, one must persist. Again, it's a faith.

          Louise

        • eupraxis@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , May 5, 2008
            Louise,

            I have just Googled for Tyndall and the National website. This is
            hardcore right-wing racism! I don't care how "doughty" he was, he was a
            die-in-the-wool white supremacist and anti-Semite. There are actually
            speeches of Hitler and Goebbels on the site. Geeze, Louise!

            I am a bit speechless, and certainly a little taken aback. Tell me,
            though, why you feel drawn to this kind of thing, if you would.

            I was one of a few persons here who organized protests against David
            Duke when he ran, and won, for the State legislature in Louisiana. The
            protest in Baton Rouge for his seating was the last of them. My
            girlfriend and I snuck inside the actual seating event (we wore all
            black and were mistaken for fascists). I met Duke in the hall and spoke
            openly to him. I was surprised by how personable he was. We spoke for a
            few moments before I was ushered away. The man has charisma -- but he
            is insane. Completely mad.

            Careful.

            Wil

            Message 5 of 8 , May 5, 2008
              Wil,

              Why are you so unphilosophical when political subjects arise? You
              tell me David Duke was personable, and that he was insane. Remember
              that my own adult life has been overshadowed by psychiatric
              descriptions, and that while you are not hurting my feelings, you are
              leaving unexplained what you consider insanity to be. For me, you
              have raised questions of identity. I might, if healthy and wishing
              to be politically active, become convinced that white separatism was
              a good idea, and join with other people - if they would have me! -
              and then I could describe myself as a white separatist; but while my
              life is a struggle simply to stay alive and mentally functioning, my
              identity has no discernible political content, at least in the terms
              apparently allowed under contemporary conditions. I have described
              myself as a liberal with a sense of hope, or desperation, that a time
              of permission to think aloud without terribly distressing flashbacks
              or paralysing fears might eventually arrive. All of this
              confessional stuff is definitely not to my taste either. I am slow
              to learn how to compromise, and in that regard perhaps not at all
              typically British.

              Louise

              Message 6 of 8 , May 5, 2008
                Wil,

              • eupraxis@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , May 5, 2008
                  Louise,

                  I think you are wrong about my political posts not being philosophical.
                  Consider the post this morning on revolution and dialectics, for
                  example. But maybe you are thinking that I was using an ad hominem
                  against David Duke by calling him insane. I wasn't. I really believe
                  that the man is quite out of his mind. You can see it in his eyes when
                  you talk with him. You can see it in his autobiography, which I have
                  read. But beyond that, I don't think that I am going out on a limb when
                  I consider white supremacy to be a sign of mental disability, in any
                  case. But I am willing to be disabused of this.

                  I am not being glib when I ask that you put forward the case for this.
                  I will listen without prejudice. I will remain beyond good and evil.

                  Waiting.

                  Wil

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 5, 2008

                    > Louise,
                    >
                    > I think you are wrong about my political posts not being
                    philosophical.

                    Yes, I was wrong. Now that I have been re-reading the post you
                    mention, I am reminded that it would be good to slow down my efforts
                    again, until an equilibrium returns. The sooner that my own mental
                    condition ceases to be a topic in my own posts, the better. It is
                    very difficult to put the case briefly and with due regard to
                    sensitivities, especially when I recall over how long a period my own
                    views have been forming, but I do believe you entirely when you say
                    that you will listen without prejudice. Thank you for your clarity.