Speech

    Message 1 of 1 , May 5 10:15 AM
      What is it about words? They are our artefacts, light as breath,
      harmless as paper. Who ever got hurt because of words? They are not
      even mere instruments of love and hate, anarchy or justice, in the
      way roses or revolvers might be. Their harmlessness is like a naked
      body, photographed in its happiness. Words are vehicles; a well-
      crafted sentence is a medium; language is the ultimate transporter.
      In my artless English fashion, I shall sing a hymn of praise to the
      gentleness of words, whatever the intent of the speaker, however
      honest or evasive the activating will, though the words be
      repetitious and crude, or deaden by elaboration, or cheat the
      desiring heart with deferral and incapacity, only words may deliver
      us the kingdom we long for. If it were not for words, how different
      would be the quality of our silences. Human language is our answer
      to the susurration of leaves, the brightness of birdsong, the humming
      of combustion engines. Words spoken quietly in winter by the
      fireside, shouted cheerily across a street, growled with familiar
      gruffness, streaming with mechanical efficiency or bellowed amid the
      safety of a crowd. Our most basic coinage, thoughtlessly debased and
      rendered the target of condemnation.

      So the question occurs, if words are so harmless, whence comes their
      power to hurt? Does the trail lead back, then, to metaphysics, to
      theories about the very structure of the universe, and the way
      language seeks to represent the relationship between itself and that
      structure? What are the metaphysics of speech? There is something
      in man (the species, I mean, that we are, each individual one of us)
      that is capable of doing harm, of willing harm. If that capacity is
      active, then (as I poetise language to be), the gentleness of words
      is turned to harshness, to that which would destroy. In the Bible it
      is simply stated: "A gentle answer turns away wrath." The reason for
      this, surely, is that one gentleness, revealed, discovers the
      gentleness that lies hidden in the other, behind the rough screen.

      To proceed, then, to facts, practicality and questions of law. My
      intention is to set down a philosophically-based view of what is
      actually a little-known political party, the story of which seems to
      me buried, in the mainstream media, beneath a pile of clich-ed
      protestations. The interior and exterior permission to perform this
      task at last arrive together, hand me the pen, and command that I
      write, just as it comes. To the next post.

      Louise