Re: Passion for change

  • jimstuart51
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2008
      Thank you, Wil and Louise.

      You each make good points which I need to bear in mind as I continue my
      reading of Nietzsche.

      Jim
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2008
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "jimstuart51" <jjimstuart1@...> wrote:

        > Thank you, Wil and Louise.
        >
        > You each make good points which I need to bear in mind as I continue
        my
        > reading of Nietzsche.
        >
        > Jim
        >=[-[[[
      • Herman B. Triplegood
        Message 3 of 9 , May 4, 2008
          Tell me where you are at with your reading of Nietzsche Jim. I spent
          time with him a few months back, around November or December or so.
          Have you read the early stuff like Untimely meditations and Human All
          Too Human?

          Hb3g

          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "jimstuart51" <jjimstuart1@...> wrote:

          > Thank you, Wil and Louise.
          >
          > You each make good points which I need to bear in mind as I continue
          my
          > reading of Nietzsche.
          >
          > Jim

        • jimstuart51
          Message 4 of 9 , May 4, 2008
            Hb3g,

            I have read all of Nietzsche's `mature' works from "The Gay Science"
            onwards.

            I have not read the two early works you mention. I gather that some
            of the ideas Nietzsche expressed in his early works, he subsequently
            modified or rejected later.

            I also have not read his "Will to Power", but, like Wil, I am rather
            suspicious of this text as Nietzsche did not choose to publish it,
            and it was edited after his death. We will never know if the ideas
            Nietzsche expresses in this work, were ideas he fully endorsed, or,
            rather, were ideas he had not fully made up his mind about.

            Whilst I think Nietzsche was a philosophical genius and expressed
            many true and profound thoughts, I don't think I am as positive about
            him as Louise and Wil are.

            I think he was too wrapped up in himself, and he did not give
            sufficient weight to the needs and well-being of others. He was not
            concerned enough for others, in my opinion.

            Jim