Re: [existlist] Re: Passion for change

  • eupraxis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2008
      Jim,

      No, I think you are still reading those passages too narrowly.
      Nietzsche's principle M.O. is against the psychology of falsification,
      as one might say. He would be against the metaphysical impulse (which
      he calls metaphysical comfort in his early work) that wants to say, for
      example, "that cannot have been so, therefore it wasn't so." He also
      against the kind of false pessimism that he finds in some of
      Schopenhauer that says "no" to the future because it spells possible
      pain.

      You seem still to see N as some stripe of fatalist.

      Yours,
      Wil

      However, I still think the implication of the two `amor fati' passages

      I quote in my post 44303 express a satisfaction with the way things

      are, and by implication, a judgement that there is no need to try to

      change things.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2008
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "jimstuart51" <jjimstuart1@...>
        wrote:

        > Louise,
        >
        > My experience of Nietzsche is that he says completely opposite
        things
        > at different stages in his authorship – sometimes in the same book.
        >
        > I don't wish to deny what you are saying. Nietzsche does indeed
        pass
        > judgement on the intellectual and cultural trends he sees taking
        place
        > in his time, and he clearly has a vision of what a good
        intellectual
        > and cultural environment would be.
        >
        > However, I still think the implication of the two `amor fati'
        passages
        > I quote in my post 44303 express a satisfaction with the way things
        > are, and by implication, a judgement that there is no need to try
        > change things.
        >
        > Jim

        Jim, yes, your clarification is helpful. In the quotation you
        mention, in 44303, from the Fourth Section of "Joyful Wisdom", he
        does indicate his wish to be one of those "who make things
        beautiful", which is an acknowledgment of the power of human will, in
        co-operating with fate, to be part of natural process. I think that
        temperamentally I am similar to Nietzsche, that experience reveals
        this sort of 'changing things' to be the only possible way. This,
        however, is a subjective judgment, and others with different
        temperaments may have entirely different perspective, something for
        which Nietzsche's more discursive flights of thought make full
        provision. Namely, the idea that the truth is that which enables a
        particular species of being, including the species, individual man,
        to survive. I think there is a kind of link here with Kierkegaard's
        thesis, in the pseudonym, Johannes Climacus, for the subjectivity of
        truth. I find Kierkegaard's sensibility to be in some ways more
        warmly human, and humorous, than the exalted and rhetorical Saxon.
        Both, however, bring forth resonances from that which is deepest in
        my own nature. Louise
      • Herman B. Triplegood
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2008
          Yeah, ditto what Louise said.

          Hb3g

          > Jim (replying to Herman, #44309)
          > "Nietzsche was not indifferent to existence as a whole ... He was,
          > however, indifferent to the details of existence - he was not a
          > person to go out of his way to being about change. He seemed
          > remarkably indifferent to the lives of other people."
          >
          > I could not disagree more. His life was spent in the service of a
          > dream which he wished to see translated into the reality of genuine
          > national and European renewal. He was appalled at the woodenly
          > historical culture of nineteenth-century Germany, the grossly
          > militaristic excesses of Prussian culture. He felt acutely the
          > difference between genuine Hellenic artistry and the kind of
          society
          > which could make possible such individualities, on the one hand,
          and
          > the blundering attempts at inculcating merely historical and
          > scientific knowledge on the other. This does not, in my view,
          imply
          > an indifference to the life of the common people, only a realistic
          > appreciation of the damage that is done to an entire culture by
          > suppression of the most fundamental instincts of men and women of
          all
          > classes, by the refusal to observe degrees of rank. Nothing,
          > however, to do with the pretentions of status. Nietzsche
          understands
          > the true glory of the animal, not as terrifying beast, I mean, but
          as
          > divinity. In man this manifests as what he terms the unhistorical.
          > His argument is for a proper balance between the historical and
          > unhistorical impulses which go to make up the existing individual,
          > stated explicitly in his essay of 1874, 'On the Uses and Abuses of
          > History for Life'. Louise
          >
          > http://www.geocities.com/thenietzschechannel/history.htm

        • jimstuart51
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2008
            Thank you, Wil and Louise.

            You each make good points which I need to bear in mind as I continue my
            reading of Nietzsche.

            Jim
            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2008
              --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "jimstuart51" <jjimstuart1@...> wrote:

              > Thank you, Wil and Louise.
              >
              > You each make good points which I need to bear in mind as I continue
              my
              > reading of Nietzsche.
              >
              > Jim
              >=[-[[[
            • Herman B. Triplegood
              Message 6 of 9 , May 4, 2008
                Tell me where you are at with your reading of Nietzsche Jim. I spent
                time with him a few months back, around November or December or so.
                Have you read the early stuff like Untimely meditations and Human All
                Too Human?

                Hb3g

                --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "jimstuart51" <jjimstuart1@...> wrote:

                > Thank you, Wil and Louise.
                >
                > You each make good points which I need to bear in mind as I continue
                my
                > reading of Nietzsche.
                >
                > Jim

              • jimstuart51
                Message 7 of 9 , May 4, 2008
                  Hb3g,

                  I have read all of Nietzsche's `mature' works from "The Gay Science"
                  onwards.

                  I have not read the two early works you mention. I gather that some
                  of the ideas Nietzsche expressed in his early works, he subsequently
                  modified or rejected later.

                  I also have not read his "Will to Power", but, like Wil, I am rather
                  suspicious of this text as Nietzsche did not choose to publish it,
                  and it was edited after his death. We will never know if the ideas
                  Nietzsche expresses in this work, were ideas he fully endorsed, or,
                  rather, were ideas he had not fully made up his mind about.

                  Whilst I think Nietzsche was a philosophical genius and expressed
                  many true and profound thoughts, I don't think I am as positive about
                  him as Louise and Wil are.

                  I think he was too wrapped up in himself, and he did not give
                  sufficient weight to the needs and well-being of others. He was not
                  concerned enough for others, in my opinion.

                  Jim