Re: knott so fast

  • mary.jo11
    Message 1 of 49 , Apr 27, 2008
      Yes. Artists, musicians in particular, have been able to garner
      mainstream media (power) attention to raise awareness and millions of
      dollars for the powerless. Live Aid was more successful than Live 8
      because it didn't depend on the impotence of government promises made
      under pressure by the media. Sun City (artists united against
      apartheid) was another. One dot Org and others are mobilizing college
      campuses to create small cells of concerned student who donate what
      little they can. (Even if it's donating $1 or 1 hour, rather than
      purchasing a download :) Here's a free click-to-give one can do each
      morning while downing their first cup of coffee at the keyboard.

      http://www.thehungersite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=1

      Mary

      Aija Veldre Beldavs <beldavsa@...> wrote:

      there are, of course, symmetrical and asymmetrical power relations
      both of which may or may not result in structural change to the
      system, but they have powerful emotional impact for those involved.
    • Aija Veldre Beldavs
      Message 49 of 49 , May 2, 2008
        Knott:

        > So frequently (in infrequent visits now) you talk about 'revolution'
        > as if there is something desirable about it. Revolution for
        > revolution's sake. I can desire change, and not revolution, and I am
        > not sure I need to bend society's ear to my mouth in order to achieve
        > it. My gripe with any word of 'cause' is that it is one idea claiming
        > superiority -- when there is no proof. Justification seems to be
        > "well, this isn't working..." and that seems to open the flood gates
        > to removing one's own brain along with everyone else's in pursuit of
        > an emotional 'greater good'...whatever on earth that might be. You
        > speak of revolution as something one adorns like a different flavor of
        > coffee in the morning when you get sick of the last cup.

        in contrast to past centuries responsible social researchers are subject
        to Human Subjects Research constraints, which strives to do no harm and
        experiments on fully informed volunteers, rather than uninformed,
        unwilling, captive populations. however, this principle is not yet
        applied when it comes to big powers doing social experiments on weaker
        or subject peoples. the ends justifies the means attitude is one of
        imagined benefit to oneself at cost to others. imagined, because in a
        system where all humans are connected, what goes around, comes around
        and doing harm to others ==poisons ones own soul,== likely in an
        unforeseen way. one can see laws of karma as not just as superstitious
        belief, but from a systems and network analysis point of view.

        in deeply evolved oral traditions, concepts, such as fate, luck,
        destiny, determinism, or open evolution are not normalized into one
        narrative, but represent the voices of different people within that
        tradition in dialogic wondering. here is an excerpt from a conference
        paper i gave at a AABS conference (George Washington University, June
        15-17, 2006):

        "Think of three mythical images relating to circulation of reflexivity
        in the Baltic, network theory, the increasing role of virtuality, and
        the attempt of the Baltic to recover and heal from repeated, long-term
        violent catastrophic damage to its peoples, cultures, societies, and
        lands in a time of major local – global exchange pattern change. They
        are Sisyphus trapped in an infinite recursion loop never to achieve his
        intended goal, Pandora the Curious who let loose the ambiguities of
        technology, and Laima the Baltic goddess of fate, fortune, and destiny
        updated to goddess of possibility, probability, random chance,
        (in)determinacy, the quantum state, and networks and self-organized
        systems confronting data mining, total cost of ownership, and
        semi-protection - sometimes with strange humor. As mistress of spinning
        and weaving, she is also the patron of both technology and the arts."

        the number of Laima-dainas is significant. while it is possible to take
        the corpus and create any one of narratives out of them and become more
        informed with that, no one can write the one authoritative one because
        daina singing is a dynamic living self organizing open system.

        aija