Re: Existence precedes essence (again)

  • mary.jo11
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 21, 2008
      it's not true that everything
      happens for a reason
      there is merely cause
      a humbler palliation

      What is a cause, a reason, an explanation? There are subtleties of
      language and meaning in the "heart." There is a tangle of overlapping
      definitions which defies philosophical distinctions. I don't believe
      "everything happens for a reason" (predestination or fate), nor do I
      think one could even grasp all the causes that aggregate to create an
      effect. We are left with merely explanations, which might include luck
      of circumstance, scientific cause, and free will.

      Sartrean existentialism isn't based in enough science, in my opinion,
      but it does include a bit of the nurture/environment psychoanalysis
      presented in The Words. If he'd a better base in brain studies, etc.
      he'd probably have weighed in closer to Daniel Dennett's proposition
      outlined in Freedom Evolves. We seem both free and determined.

      I doubt fatalists are never anxious. I've also heard people confuse
      existentialism with fatalism. Fate, determinism or free will are
      merely human concepts operating in a complex world, where even
      language sometimes fails to convey a singular, individual perspective
      among so many others who seem to know what`s best for everyone.

      Why do I feel an explanation is a humble relief as opposed something
      caused by fate or predestination? An explanation is a human endeavor
      unmarked by cosmic significance, much like poetry.

      Anyway, Spring has arrived in earnest, and I thank my lucky stars I'm
      still alive to enjoy it.