Re: Autistic Minds

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 12, 2008
      <existlist1@...> wrote:

      > On Apr 04, 2008, at 9:26, bhvwd wrote:
      > > Before we start that grueling process we need know much more adout
      > > all of this and such science runs its slow , particular course.
      >

      > First, as Susan correctly clarified, I meant that for every female
      > diagnosed, three to seven males are, depending on the state or
      > country. Part of the problem is that autism is a descriptive term:
      it
      > might be describing any of several underlying conditions. Every
      region
      > seems to have its own definition of what is an "autistic"
      personality.

      > As for science...
      >
      > Indeed, science is slow and makes mistakes along the way. We test
      and
      > retest theories. Even once established as the accepted theory,
      > scientific "knowledge" can be challenged. Witness how well Newton
      and
      > Einstein held up, but there are "flaws" in even their great works.
      >
      > It is hard to explain science to people. No few disciplines are
      based
      > on the notion of being wrong over time. A good scientist doesn't
      mind
      > being proved wrong, assuming he or she can develop yet another,
      better
      > theory. This is what people don't get about science: nothing is
      > certain, we just assume we are slightly closer to the truth with
      each
      > little piece of data.
      > CSW, Yhank you for the clarification , the stronger numbers seemed
      very high as one in three males would be catastrophic. I now
      understsnd why you cannot reliably give a number of cases per
      hundred. What a half assed malady such that we cant even get it
      named. Most of the writers on this list show some signs or simptoms
      of autism, but I find it interesting to chase down the rabbit hole.
      Are existentialists genetically prone to autism? That is unanswerable
      but not unthinkable. It may even still be legal to think such things
      and so I do it. Bill

      > - C. S. Wyatt
      > I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and certainly not
      all
      > that I shall be.

    • Joe Mele
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 12, 2008
        Bill

        The world would be a better place if everyone was autistic. Autistics
        mostly have normal to above intelligence but a higher number of mentally
        retard than the general population. Autistics are not born liars.

      • eupraxis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 13, 2008
          In a message dated 4/12/08 11:12:07 PM, joemele@... writes:
          > The world would be a better place if everyone was autistic.

          What in the world!

          Okay, I get it. Autistic people are ... people too. However, let's not get
          maudlin about it.

          Wil

        • Exist List Moderator
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 14, 2008
            On Apr 12, 2008, at 23:11, Joe Mele wrote:
            > Bill
            >
            > The world would be a better place if everyone was autistic. Autistics
            > mostly have normal to above intelligence but a higher number of
            > mentally
            > retard than the general population. Autistics are not born liars.

            I have addressed this issue with teachers and professors who are not
            prepared for the blunt honesty of the HFA/AS students they encounter.
            The instructors think the students are being sarcastic or lying, based
            on tone, when these students cannot generally lie without either a
            terrible "give" or physical discomfort.

            People are uncomfortable with the truth.

            - C. S. Wyatt
            that I shall be.